Removing the band- but which is better, Sleeve or Bypass?

Staylor011
on 8/12/18 8:42 am

I have to make a decision by the time I see my dr on the 30th to discuss my options for removing the band. But I am not sure which one to choose next? I have never had any acid re-flux with the band , just the occasional vomiting because I ate too much or too fast. So I think the bypass will keep me in check and I am afraid the sleeve will turn into a disappointment later. Any thoughts from anyone. I love hearing from others and as well as being support for others too.

MarinaGirl
on 8/12/18 3:41 pm

We hear of so many ex-banders that revise to VSG that have to revise again to RNY. I think you're better off getting a bypass after the issues you've had with the band, which could very well have caused unforeseen damage.

Staylor011
on 8/12/18 5:19 pm

Thank you for responding. I think you're right, I think I should just go straight to the bypass and BEHAVE this time. And true about unforeseen damage, I hope there's nothing but they are going to review it on my next visit.

kimiam
on 8/13/18 6:54 pm - riverside, CA

I am two weeks out from band to bypas so fat so good . I heard too many negative things about sleeve that just made me nervous , so I choose rny I wanted this to be the last one for me .

Staylor011
on 8/14/18 7:41 am

Thanks for the update and your opinion. Its greatly appreciated!! I hope your feeling well and would love to hear about your progress

nicnac215
on 8/15/18 5:38 am - San Diego , CA

I had the band and wanted to convert to the bypass after seeing my friends success with bypass. My surgeon suggested the sleeve, which I did. I now suffer severe GERD and wish I would have gone through with the bypass. However if GERD is not a problem, consider the DS. It has beat the long term results.

nicnac215
on 8/15/18 5:40 am - San Diego , CA

Oh and also, I am seeing my surgeon next week to discuss the results of my upper GI, which show severe GERD and a Haitial hernia. I just may have that bypass in my future, it's just too bad I didn't push for what I wanted 5 years ago.

Staylor011
on 8/15/18 12:38 pm

Oh I am sorry to hear about your GI results. But its hard to know what to do when it comes to this stuff and it comes down to we live and learn. We tried something and now we know. I am grateful for this site and all of everyone's feedback.

I can totally relate to what you said about your friends. I look at their before and after and was like why isnt that me. I could totally be there right now. I am horrible with the acronyms so I will have to look the one you mentioned . I get so confused with all the different things out there. :)

Thanks again !!!

Nanacarolyn
on 8/16/18 8:47 pm

Hello, I too am removing my band on Sept. 30. I would love to talk to you about it. 405-799-6669.

Thanks

Carolyn

Staylor011
on 8/17/18 8:02 pm

Hello Carolyn,

Are you switching to another wls or just removing the band?

Most Active