Revion Options from RNY

DS80
on 6/29/18 7:11 pm

It has been so long in 2005 I had RNY at 5'2 255

214 at surgery. Surgery went great had it done at Stanford Medical Center with Dr. Morton.

I lost a total of around 70 pounds. I occasionally had dumping syndrom. In 2009 was when l stopped losing I slowly started gaining. In 2011 had my son now 6yrs I had to be on a course of progesterone to prevent miscarriage was at 205 I developed gestational diabetes and at delivery I was 215.

In 2012 got pregnant with my 3rd and last child I developed hyperemesis and gestational diabetes on insulin 4 times a day and also a course of progesterone and anemia had venofer while pregnant and at delivery was 229.

After I had my now 5yr old son I began to struggle with sever nausea and vomitting and have been on antacid since then. I am now 245 at 5'2 I am pre-diabetic and developed patella femoral syndrom with joint pain. I recently asked my doctor for referal to Bariatrics for possible revision got a phone apptð??' with a doctor in the bariatric department and ahe basically said RNY is the last procedure they only revise from Lap-Band to VSG or RNY and if someone had VSG can only convert to RNY. I asked is this right? I mean in heart I knew she was not being honest maybr just for Kaise but I have read RNY can be converted. I decided to switch back to Anthem Blue Cross HMO the same coverage I had in 2005.

I found a doctor Benjamin Shadle for Sutter Medical Center Roseville. After watching his videos and reading tons of reviews I have hope.

I am nervous can anyone please share your revision story with me if you've had RNY. How long did the process take and if it has worked I have reading about duodenal Switch.

I appreciate any helpð?'

Thanksð?'?

D

DS80
on 6/29/18 7:16 pm

Me again... forgot to add I have Gerd and have nausea single everyday and vomitting about 4 times a week. Have been on prilosec and various other antacids since 2012.

Donna L.
on 6/30/18 5:31 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you have GERD and nausea they typically will see what is wrong with the bypass first. It may be there is a physical defect with the surgery you already have, too. Did they want to investigate to see what was causing the issue when you called?

The duodenal switch is absolutely a choice post-RNY, but if it's GERD you have it won't necessarily help with that and you may still have it, if that's the main reason you are seeking revision. Further weight loss can often help with it, though. It really depends what is going on.

The RNY has to be converted to a sleeve for the DS, and that is a very major surgery that requires a high degree of skill, and it's best to choose a surgeon extremely well-versed in it. I don't know much about Shadle, but I know Dr. Keshishian has done them.

I'd first get an answer about what is causing the issue and go from there... ruling out something serious would be a first step DS or no.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

DS80
on 6/30/18 6:16 pm

Thank you... They have in the past and was an endoscopy but did not find anything. That was years ago though. My PTH is 92 over normal range and that does cause nausea.

Thats good to know about the 2 surgeries I was confused as to the process of converting RNY to DS.

So then why dont they convert RNY to VSG?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/1/18 9:35 am

With severe GERD converting from RNY to VSG may cause even more GERD. They convert people from vsg to RNY due to GERD when they have vsg.

You may deal with what is called "Candy Cane" junction. They need to investigate that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rny+candy+cane&client=tablet -android-verizon&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ah UKEwi1xtaMqf7bAhXG2FMKHXAJBgEQ_AUIESgB&biw=600&bih=960#imgrc =16doQY6L0s_ioM:

If not - you may have hernia, or food allergies.

I had RNY, and over the years I developed severe GERD. I am currently on PPI dexilant, but even that does not help 100%.

I have food allergies and sensitivity, and the GERD is a reaction to histamine in food, and histamine that my body makes due to food.

Revision may make you condition even worse if they don't know why you have GERD.

High PTH can be a symptom of problem with parathyroid....or calcium deficiencies. When our body does not get enough calcium, magnesium, other minerals - it activated parathyroid to make PTH to pull minerals from our bones. You probably need bones DEXA scan to see the condition of your bones. Most likely you a leaking minerals from bones and unless you stop that - you may deal with severe bones and teeth issues down the line. IMO - this is critical.

Please find someone who cantina a detailed lab work on you and order DEXA scan.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 7/1/18 12:24 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Typically, people convert from RNY to DS for more weight loss, not to cure GERD. The DS works very well for high BMI people. Often they sometimes will do it in two surgeries, converting the bypass to a sleeve, and then to a DS later, but its generally better to have surgery as little as possible for a myriad of reasons.

There's not really much of a reason other than going to a DS to convert a RNY to a sleeve, especially because it's a dangerous surgery.

If you have nausea getting worse over time, you need to sort that out first before planning a revision. Revision may exacerbate GERD. There may be techniques they can also use if you still want to convert to a DS despite the GERD, but I'd figure out the cause first.

Diet is also a big GERD trigger. Higher carb diets can exacerbate it, as can dairy if lactose intolerant. Might want to experiment with diet and see if you can get some relief while you are figuring out what is up.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

curvaceousdiva
on 7/20/18 7:54 am - Hyattsville, MD

Good morning, I had a revision from a RNY to a band around my RNY pouch. I wasn't big enough to do a DS as my surgeon mentioned. I was around 199. I got RNY in 2010 and dropped to 118 but had regain as my dr. mentioned as many a 30% do, so he did a revision for me in 2017. Weight loss has been MUCH slower but it is coming off. The vomiting happens almost daily though.

Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Julieann68
on 7/26/18 12:30 pm

I had my RNY surgery back in 2004. For years I stayed 145 lbs. about 3 years ago my weight went back to 180. I checked with my doctor who stated he does not do revisions. I am not sure what steps to take or who to see regarding the possibility of a band. Do you have any suggestions?

Kathy S.
on 7/26/18 12:35 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Julieann,

I understand you wanting a revision but for only 35 pounds you might want to try to get back on track first before going through another surgery. I am not making light of your weight gain I understand. Also, just do a search here on OH "lapband" complications and you may want to rethink a band on your RNY..... Here are some suggestions for getting back to the basics that helped me. They may help you too.

I maintained 118-125 for over 10 years after losing 200 pounds. Due to a personal tragedy I gained and hit the 190 mark a year ago. After several starts it finally clicked and I am back to goal losing 70 pounds of regain. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!! Our tool works if we work the tool and get back to the basics.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

jamijolpn525
on 8/18/18 3:35 pm

Thank you, I am trying to get back on track too. I had RNY January 2000 and was very successful. Lost 130 pounds and started to regain 5 years ago when my Mom passed away. I lost site of how to eat and began eating anything I wanted too. I forgot that I have to forever eat the way my surgeon suggested we do for the rest of our lives. I don't want to go through a revision and just want to get back on track. I believe my pouch still works. The malabsorption may no longer be a help but I truly believe my pouch hasn't failed. It may be bigger than it used to be but since I have started a higher protein diet, cravings have already started to subside.

Most Active