Hello. I am new. Looking for advice/encouragement for revision VSG to RNY.

hollykim
on 6/25/18 4:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

thanks,and yes it is an improvement. I think I will go for the second treatment one way or another.

hollykim
on 6/26/18 5:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

in the meantime, have you tried taking activated charcoal when you have symptoms? It works to absorb the acid and take it out of your stomach. It is often used to absorb drugs taken in a drug overdose.

It comes in capsules, I get mine at vitamin shoppe, and I take 5-6 capsules at night if I feel it burning or some acid comes up. Works a charm after about 15-30 min. If it doesn't work by then, I take a few more and that usually solves it.

Gonnabskinni2018
on 9/14/18 12:08 pm

Please tell me how the Stretta procedure has worked for you!!

MarinaGirl
on 6/21/18 10:23 pm

I do not recommend the LINX Reflux Management System.

I had a LINX device inserted in 2015 and MGB surgery in 2017. The first year (2015-2016) my acid reflux improved and I was off PPIs but then it came back. After my MGB surgery (April 2017), acid reflux improved but I developed bile reflux 8 months post-op. Then in May 2018 I received notification that the LINX device I have has been recalled by the FDA, and my April 2018 EGD showed it had also slipped down a little.

My next steps are: 1) revise to RNY to resolve bile reflux; 2) fix a hiatal hernia that was identified in the last two months; and 3) remove the LINX device. I'm hoping to get this surgery scheduled as soon as possible, ideally next month. I have met with 2 different surgeons (in CA and WA) and they both recommend the same procedures.

Calidreamer
on 6/22/18 11:08 am

Thank you for your reply. I will not move forward with the Linx. The doc seemed like a sleezy salesman when he talked about it. I am looking for results that work. Not adding to the chance of another complication or another surgery later. I think if he continues to push the Linx, that will be my cue to find another surgeon. Thanks for sharing

MarinaGirl
on 6/24/18 7:08 pm, edited 6/24/18 12:09 pm

I recommend you find out if there is another bariatric surgeon who can revise you from VSG to RNY with your insurance. I am not getting a good vibe about the one you have met with thus far. Even if you have to drive some distance, selecting a highly experienced (and ethical) revision surgeon is paramount.

Most Active