Yes a revision can be more successful than the standards numbers....

JJT
on 5/4/18 5:01 am
Revision on 09/14/17

My post is to give hope. When I sought a revision everything I read was minimal help and failure. Even the Dr. told me the success rate of a revision was about 50 lbs which is a lot of the reason why Dr's do not want to do them. I weighed 543 pounds and had RNY 30 years ago. Sure there were problems that allowed me to gain my weight but truth is I did it. I knew I would die on that operating table. So I told my surgeon I am not sure I can do this for 50 lbs. She sent me home for a six month diet with no goals. Who at 543 pounds really loses weight?

I decided on that drive home I would give every ounce of me for six months. Maybe I could lose enough to live through a surgery. Went home to almost instant AFIB and it was a reality check that at any moment I could die. Got a cervical cancer scare and every Dr. said your to heavy to help. I dug so deep for six months and lost 143 lbs.

My next surgeon visit she said I am going to completely rebuild your RNY and make it distal. Most revisions tighten the stomach. I had to be in or out, death or life. I chose to be in. My surgeons last weight on me around surgery was 404 so yes I gained a bit trying to eat my last addiction.

With her expertise, my tool, my digging even deeper today seven months later I have lost 137 lbs. A total in the past 19 months of 276 lbs.

I'm not typing this for any congratulations. I'm posting this so those seeking a revision can find someone who is succeeding. That every post is about how it doesn't work. I won't kid you it's not as easy and I'm in my 50's so even that plays against it but if you want this bad enough you got it! You can do it. You can make it work. Just know that it's gonna have to be more you than the surgeon and the surgery.

Laura in Texas
on 5/4/18 5:41 am

You said you do not want congratulations, but you deserve them. Congrats on taking the steps necessary to save your life. Keep working hard! People need to learn from you and take responsibility for their choices.

I hope your cervical issues are taken care of. My mom is battling cervical cancer right now.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MyBariatricLife
on 5/4/18 7:42 am

What a very scary and dire situation you were in. Honestly, my heart is virtually pounding reading your story. I agree with Laura in Texas, you are to be commended for not giving up. I hope that you are in good health nowadays.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 5/4/18 11:53 am

I think you have indeed given people hope.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

JJT
on 5/4/18 12:44 pm
Revision on 09/14/17

Thank you I am in good health. Still have some issues to handle but none that anyone holding weight doesn't. The cervical issue is under control thanks so much.

I just really wanted a person that seeks a revision to know if they want to lose the weight bad enough they can beat the stats of a revision!

Jan0718
on 5/30/18 9:33 am
Revision on 06/01/18

Thank you SO MUCH for your post. I really needed to see that revision can be a success.

Please accept congratulations for your weight loss. It's not easy for any of us and I know that even though we

need to do it, so many don't...but YOU did!! Keep keeping on!

Hotchic
on 5/8/18 8:58 am

SCREAMING A BIG CONGRATS TOO YOU.. I TOO AM HAVING A REVISION..ON 5/17/18. IM PRAYING FOR MUCH SUCESS.. YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT ALL I READ IS THAT YOU WILL NOT LOOSE MUCH WEIGHT WITH A RNY REVISION. I HAD VSG IN 2014. DUE TO SEVERE GERD AND I ONLY LOST 50 POUNDS. SO HERE I AM AGAIN. IM HOPEFUL THAT THIIS WILL HELP ME I HAVE GREAT CONFIDENCE IN MY SURGEON.

A BIG CONGRAST TOO YOU AGAIN

JJT
on 5/8/18 11:47 am
Revision on 09/14/17

Good luck to all of you and thank you.

JJT
on 12/8/18 6:39 am
Revision on 09/14/17

Hello to you all. Just an update that I hope will give you hope and determination. We all know revisions aren't the most successful weight loss in the bariatric world. Many doctors do not believe in them. I won't go over my story as it's posted here but to just give you an update. I am now fifteen months out from my revision and total weight loss on my own and with the revision is 345 pounds. January 4th I will be having surgery to repair hernias that have been hidden beneath layers of fat and the removal of my stomach panny. They have to remove the panny for the mesh to adhere to make the hernia surgery successful. So I feel fortunate they can repair them and I will benefit from it mentally and physically. Don't give up your fight and don't believe the low weight loss statistics. Don't let that be your measuring stick. This journey is more about you than it is about the surgery. If you go into it knowing that you are the driving force not the surgery the weight will come off. Good luck to you all and have a blessed holiday.

JJT
on 6/20/19 5:04 pm
Revision on 09/14/17

Update: I am twenty one months out and currently weight 168. My total weight loss has been 375 pounds with over 200 with the surgery. I had my panny removed in January. There are successful revisions from an RNY to a distal. I really have had no issues other than healing from the panny surgery. Due to nutrition and malabsorption I ran into some infections but nothing major. There is success with revisions you just have to work with it. Good luck!

Most Active