Hospital stay/recovery/work---Questions for those who have had VSG to RNy

mi75
on 8/26/17 1:47 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

I am thinking ahead about all of the questions that I'll have for my surgeon this week, and most are related to follow up, dietician, etc. I'll also ask him these but wanted to see what typical recovery looks like.

For those who are VSG to RNY revision, how long did your surgery take, how long did you have to stay in hospital, and how much time did you have to take off work before you were recovered?

I'm really just trying to wrap my head around this, but today I woke up, took my Prevacid, cleaned house, ate lunch, decided to take a nap and woke up with horrific reflux and acid in my throat after about 15 minutes napping. I'm fairly certain that revision is going to be a guarantee, just trying to get as much info as I can!

Blueberry81
on 8/27/17 3:44 pm
VSG on 05/05/17

I have GERD and it sucks. I am having my revision surgery on September 13th and i have the same questions as you.... hopefully we find answers...

VSG 5/5/17 pre op diet weight 391 SW 373 M1:-19 M2:-12 M3:-7 M4:-7 RNY 9/13/17 SW 319.6 M1:-10 M2:-10.6 M3:-8 M4:-9.5 M5:-3 M6:-6

racemomss
on 8/28/17 1:22 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I had my revision on the 24th so I'm fresh out. I was a vsg now the rny bypass. Had horrible reflux, unhealing ulcer, hiatal hernia, and gallbladder out. I am home as of yesterday. It took 7 hours operation but physically ok so far. I'm trying to find the good in all this and can say so far no acid. I have been scared of the bypass and now I'm one. I hope you share your experience when it gets here. The water is hard to get in cuz I wanna sleep a lot. I'm also on Lexapro which I couldn't have till yesterday so that has tanked me on the depression wheel. Good luck y'all! You sound much better mentally for it thanks I did. :)

krafty81
on 9/19/17 3:16 pm
Revision on 10/01/17

Did your insurance cover the revision? Mine is denying it saying its not medically necessary! Yet my general doc, gastro doc, and surgeon all say differently?

racemomss
on 9/19/17 4:13 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Yes they did. I honestly was surprised. I hope your drs can get it approved. It's nice to not throw up the bile anymore. Keep me posted!!

krafty81
on 9/19/17 3:17 pm
Revision on 10/01/17

Did your insurance cover the revision? Mine is denying it saying its not medically necessary! Yet my general doc, gastro doc, and surgeon all say differently?

stacyrg
on 8/28/17 3:50 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I'm not sure how long my surgery took, but I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 3 hours (just going by what time I was wheeled to the OR and what time I woke up in recovery). I chose to stay in the hospital 3 days, but was told I could be discharged after two if I felt up to it. My recovery was much better than with my VSG. I was out of work a total of 9 days (but one day was 7/4).

krafty81
on 9/19/17 3:16 pm
Revision on 10/01/17

stacyrg
on 9/19/17 3:21 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Yes. It was approved immediately. Actually, conversion to RNY is about the only thing my insurance would approve.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/29/17 3:26 pm

Last thing I ever would do is to eat food and then have a nap laying down - unless I am napping sitting up.

Even with RNY - I deal with severe GERD. We are not sure why. I need at least 1 hour, 2 is better, between food and laying down. If I am really hungry and need to eat-then go to bed - I may take a nap sleeping in a recliner. Never in the bed.

I need to be sure there is no food left in my pouch before I go to bed. Before bed I walk around, drink more clear liquids to make sure to wash things down. If I don't do that I may wake up with a severe burning in my esophagus.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active