Revision sleeve to RNY

Jessiadair
on 8/5/17 6:18 am
VSG on 11/16/15

Hi, I had vsg 11/2015. SW 234 lost 60 pounds the first 4 months (174) then at about the 6 month mark gained 7 pounds and stayed at 181 until march 2017. I have steadily gained a few pounds every month since then....I am now up to 200. I have SEVERE GERD. I wake up choking on bile at least 3 nights a week. I also have a haital hernia. My sleeve is intact but my doctor wants to revise me to a RNY-I had surgery in Texas and now live in Oklahoma so I'm seeing a different doc. I had GERD prior to the vsg surgery and my doc said the should have initially done RNY. My BMI is 32.4 and I have Medicare. She says I need to keep coming in to weigh every month and when I get up to 205 my BMI will b high enough to have surgery. Has anyone had revision done? Did it help w GERD? How has weight loss been? Do u guys think weight will stay off for me w the RNY? Also I do NOT want to take narcotics after surgery this time-I don't like the way pain meds make me feel. Has anyone had surgery w no opiates afterward? I am planning on just getting IV Tylenol and possibly toroidal or Celebrex.

thanks! Also I can't figure out how to put a profile pic on here or how to edit the pic I posted!! Help!

GmaDiana
on 8/7/17 11:39 am

I also had severe gerd after the sleeve,Had revision in Nov 2016 and gerd is nonexistent.Have lost another 52lbs. No complications.I wish I would of had bypass surgery to begin with.

unagordita
on 8/7/17 12:29 pm

This is encouraging thank you for sharing, I'm scheduled for a revision from sleeve to bypass on 8/28/17 and feel scared.

racemomss
on 8/9/17 10:43 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I with you. I go in on the 24th and will be started on at 7 am. I hope to post on here a day or so after to update. this one is tough.

unagordita
on 8/9/17 12:08 pm

Yes, it feels tough but I'm sure we'll both do fine we just have to think positive and do it, I see it as it's for my health.

JimVonBaden
on 8/17/17 9:25 am - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 11/10/04 with

I had RNY in 2004. I lost 110 pounds, but gained it back over the years up to 284. The last couple of years the GERD came back, it was bad before the surgery. I had an RNY revision last week and the GERD is again gone. My understanding is that the RNY makes the pouch so small that stomach acids are nearly reduced to zero, not GERD. Also, if your esophageal opening is damaged, it can be repaired at the same time. This is definitely a viable procedure.

Jim

RNY 11/2004 (lost 110 pounds, gained back to 284), revision 8/2017 (down 26 pounds)

Most Active