Sleeve Revision to RNY - GERD & Hiatal Hernia

keywest
on 7/25/17 12:51 pm

Hello everyone, I've been away from this site for quite some time. I had the sleeve surgery on 10/2011. I lost 112lbs. My lowest weight was 148lbs. I couldn't lose any additional weight past that. My goal weight 130lbs. All & all I was extremely happy where I was in health & life. I have always suffered with acid reflux since the surgery. Over this past year, I have gained 50lbs. I can't keep any solid food down. Wheneve or whatever I eat, I vomit 15 minutes later for about 1 hour. I was told since I don't have a thyroid and not maintaining a lot of calories that my metabolism slowed down a great causing the weight gain. I have worked very hard maintaing my weight loss all this time. I have severe acid reflux & just found out a weeks ago I have a hiatal hernia. I will be meeting my doctor in 2 weeks to discuss a revision surgery to RNY.

Can anyone who have experienced this and had this revision surgery advise me what to expect and how different a life style is from sleeve to RNY? Also, did the revision cure the acid reflux and were you able to lose excess weight. Please help any information you can give would be great. Thank you

HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

babsinga
on 7/26/17 8:05 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

I am a revision and had one 2 weeks ago. Sleeved for 9+ years and had chronic GERD and some weight gain. The only difference is the malabsorption. Vitamins need to be taken diligently for both surgeries. I would say that sleevers can eat quite a bit more than RNYers based on what I see on daily menu planning. The RNY stomach is the size of an egg and the sleeve is a small banana which holds about 2 ounces. The problem is that this can be stretched out much larger over time. I am pretty sure if you do that with a RNY you may have a staple line rupture. People on the RNY board seem to weigh their food and not exceed more than 3 to 4 ounces of meat.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

stacyrg
on 7/26/17 10:13 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I am a sleeve to RNY revision which was required due to severe GERD that developed after my VSG. The lifestyle isn't different at all. My diet is the same as it was with my VSG. The only difference, for me, is that I'm one of the unlucky few who have dumping syndrome and reactive hypoglycemia, so I have to be very cognizant of what/when I eat. Other than that, I eat the same amounts and the same type of foods. Always protein forward, very low carb, very low sugar, etc. As far as weight loss, I was basically at goal when I revised. I had gained a few pounds right before my revision because the only thing that helped the acid was cracker. So, I needed to lose about 12 lbs to get where I wanted to be. My surgeon warned me that it could take 8-12 months to get there as revisions lose slower than first timers. I'm 12 months post revision and lost all my weight within the first 6 months. I'm now in maintenance. As far as acid goes, my reflux is about 90% resolved. I still have some reflux, but it's nothing a zantac or two won't take care of.

bruindiva92
on 7/28/17 10:26 am
Revision on 03/29/17

I am a revision from VSG to RNY due to bile reflux and a hiatal hernia. I gained 30 pounds because popcorn made my stomach happy.

I was told at least 12 months to lose the 30 pounds. I am proud to say I lost the 30 pounds in under 3 months. I do suffer from reactive hypoglycemia so I have 6 meals per day at 200 calories each. My diet is about 90% the same as VSG but some foods I just can't eat anymore--protein bars, popcorn, fewer vegetables.

Bile reflux was cured at 100% and the regain gone. I am still contemplating losing another ten but my body does not function well when eating less than 1000 calories per day. I become mean and exhausted!

I wish you much success on your journey.

unagordita
on 8/5/17 10:17 pm

My doctor mentioned to me I would be coming home with a tube in case of any leaks. I feel worried about the unknown, If I don't go thru with the surgery he will not see me again. So I feel even more worried. I should think positive and start getting my food list ready. It will be here before I know it. Thank you for your update.

Most Active