I got approved! VSG to Rny

Lauriesparkls
on 5/2/17 6:43 am

I am so glad to hear your recovery wasn't difficult! I was worried about that. I did have some questions though. My sleeve was I guess cut kinda big, so I've put back on some weight, did you lose after the rny? Also, did you have hair loss again like after the first time? Oh, and I guess that main thing that conscerns me is do you have to really watch if afood has any sugar in it or you'll dump? Dumping seems to be my all time biggest fear. I like to have danish every once in awhile!

stacyrg
on 5/2/17 10:22 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I was basically at goal when I revised (I was at goal, but gained about 10-12 lbs because crackers were the only thing that helped with the acid) My surgeon told me I would lose my regain, but it would be slow. I'm back down to my goal weight and maintaining. I had hair loss again. It started later than with my VSG (around month 5 this time) but I didn't lose as much hair as I did the first time around. I'm now 10 months post revision (10 months yesterday, as a matter of fact) and it has stopped falling out.

As far as dumping goes. I dump so I watch everything I eat, or know if I eat something high carb, sugar or fat, I'll have to suffer the consequences. I guess whether you have to watch if foods are high in sugar will depend on how you react. You could try your danish and if you don't react, you're good to go. There's no way to test if you're going to dump, other than to eat the foods that may cause the reaction. Dumping for me is heart palpitations, shaking hands and sweating and just feeling like crap. It usually passes in 45 minutes or so. I've had one bad reaction where in addition to those symptoms, I ended up in the bathroom with the runs. I've only done that once in 10 months though.

Lauriesparkls
on 5/3/17 8:00 am

Thank you for the info! I know I am going to have a million more questions for you! I like sweets so I am hoping dumping is going to be like the constant hand that slaps it out of my hand!!!

stacyrg
on 5/3/17 10:10 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Feel free to ask anything you want. I wouldn't count on dumping as only about 30% of RNY'ers dump.

marbella37
on 5/3/17 7:17 am
RNY on 04/24/17

Hello I had my first surgery on 4/3/2002 rny and a long limb rny on 4/24/17. my first week was mentally hard. Did you experience that? I am not hungry but I want to eat I guess I forgot that after 15 yrs of the first one. How was you weight loss did you loose a lot or was it slowed. My surgeon told me that is not going to be as dramatic the average people loose 60 lbs.

Maribel

stacyrg
on 5/3/17 10:20 am
VSG on 05/12/14

No, it wasn't mentally hard for me. My surgeon made me go through the food stages again and the only thing that was difficult is that I was legitimately hungry. We attributed that to the fact that I was about 8lbs above goal when I revised, so I really had no body fat for me to live off of. He advanced my diet a few days early and all was good. As for weight loss, since I was only a few lbs away from goal, I have no advice on that issue. My surgeon did tell me that revisions always lose slower than virgin surgeries.

leolady50
on 5/6/17 7:01 pm

Hi, I had the VSG 2/14/12 and lost about 70 pounds, I was considered a "lightweight " at the time of my surgery.All was well until about a year ago when I noticed that not only had my GERD greatly increased, , I gained weight, but I lost my appetite and everything I ate seemed to feel "stuck" when I swallowed. My surgeon is recommending a revision to the RNY and I have just completed all of my insurance requirements. I'd like to ask you if you had your original surgery laparoscopically and if so, if you were able to have the revision done this way also. Also, how was the recovery period, ( including pain, any difficulties)- I'm concerned since I had a great recovery with my sleeve. I read that your GERD is pretty much gone, which is what I'm hoping for. Also, was the weight loss ( speed ,stalls, etc) about the same this time also? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

stacyrg
on 5/6/17 10:21 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Both surgeries were done laparoscopically. My revision surgery recovery was actually easier than my VSG. I was in the hospital 3 days (my choice) but I was walking all day all 3 days. No complications with my recovery at all. As far as weight loss goes, I can't really speak to that. I was about 10 lbs from goal ( I had gained about 12 when my GERD got bad) and that came off relatively easy. My surgeon did say that weight loss is significantly slower with revisions than virgin surgeries. Let me know if you have any other questions

unagordita
on 6/12/17 10:42 am

Thank you, I'm glad it was easier for you the 2nd time, I feel scared out of my wits, my surgery date is drawing near June 28th, gerd is horrific so I feel I need to do it so I can have some relief.

unagordita
on 5/2/17 9:31 pm

Lauriesparkls, we will be rny sister's that's also my surgery date. I also have the acid reflux it's horrific.

Most Active