Revision VSG to Bypass due to GERD

LynneT
on 4/15/17 11:33 am
Revision on 03/21/17

I had horrible GERD as well as other issues with my sleeve that was done in June 2013. I had a revision to a RNY March 21, 2017. I have not had an easy recovery at all, but the GERD does seem to be gone.

QC_Blondie
on 4/19/17 3:06 pm
Revision on 05/23/17

What issues have you had with your recovery? I'm sorry it hasn't been easy for you!

QC_Blondie
on 4/19/17 3:05 pm
Revision on 05/23/17

Well my surgeon got my surgical clearance letter from my dr today. They were going to submit all the paperwork to insurance today. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers insurance will approve the surgery! I'm so ready to be done with this pain.

MarianneJ54
on 4/24/17 3:34 am - MO

Oh my gosh your story sounds just like me!! Well with the Gerd and weight gain issues. I am having my EGD done next week. I haven't had any type of blood clots but I have the GERD issues that have hit me worse than before surgery. I can't even drink water after 8pm or I'm up with it. Never even thought about a revision until the doctor said that might be our best choose. Now I'm seeking info on it and this is the best site to do that at. I try to use natural things for the GERD but I have taken Carafate and Previcid in the past. Now just trying to not eat late and if I have it I use fennel essential oil. Well I pray that all goes well for you. Thanks for your post.

MarianneJ54
on 4/24/17 10:48 am - MO

Oh my gosh your story sounds just like me!! Well with the Gerd and weight gain issues. I am having my EGD done next week. I haven't had any type of blood clots but I have the GERD issues that have hit me worse than before surgery. I can't even drink water after 8pm or I'm up with it. Never even thought about a revision until the doctor said that might be our best option. Now I'm seeking info on it and this is the best site to do that at with everyone that has or going through the procedure. I'm not sure what the insurance does about approval for the surgery. Are there loop holes to jump through? I seen where some people get it done with no problems at all in the precert. I just want to feel better and lose the weight I gained. I still have a really hard time with calorie intake. I keep it around 500-700 a day with getting my protein in first.

I try to use natural things for the GERD but I have taken Carafate and Previcid in the past. Now just trying to not eat late and if I have it I use fennel essential oil. Well I pray that all goes well for you. Thanks for your post.

QC_Blondie
on 4/25/17 3:38 am
Revision on 05/23/17

Every insurance policy is different but my insurance came back with a checklist that had to be completed prior to submission. It was similar to what I had to do for my VSG years ago. I had to get 3 year weight history, 5 years of compliance information from my dr, psych visit, letters from my pcp and pulmonary Drs, prescription history for reflux/gerd. There were a few other things but of course I'm drawing a blank on them now! My insurance also had a requirement of a 6 month wait period. During this time I was supposed to meet with my surgeon and dietitian monthly. Since my gerd has gotten so severe we went ahead and submitted my papers without that requirement. My surgeons office and I were prepared for it to be a fight. My surgeon had already planned a request for a peer to peer conference. So we all were surprised when they approved the surgery in less than 24 hours!

Your calorie intake sounds like mine. I thought it was too low and that's why I'm not losing weight now. I am actually gaining a few lbs. when I met with the dietitian the other week she said she was ok with my calories being that low only bc I have a sleeve. As for the weight gain I'm guessing it has something to do with residual effects from the blood thinners.

I didn't think about a revision till I met with a surgeon to discuss my hernia repair. All this time I thought the gerd was caused in part by the hernia. My original VSG surgeon never mentioned that I could get gerd or that a bypass would be a better option for me. It's disappointing knowing I could have had a bypass to start with and possibly avoided all of this! I'm happy though to know the pain and sleeplessness may hopefully be coming to an end.

Prayers for you as well as you decide what steps to take!

Most Active