Revision VSG to Bypass due to GERD

racemomss
on 4/10/17 10:36 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

oh I agree. I think that is why I put on some of the weight trying to eat to sooth it

bruindiva92
on 4/10/17 12:45 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

30 pounds of popcorn and mixed nuts were the only things to calm my stomach!

GmaDiana
on 4/10/17 11:52 am

I had revision to bypass Nov.2016.Had sleeve in 2011 and developed severe acid reflux and a hiatal hernia repair failure. They fix hernia again did bypass.I have lost 44 lbs since then. No complications. The recovery was a little more painful and slower.I also have had a lot of surgeries {14}. .I wish I would have had this surgery to begin with. Good luck with your revision.You won't regret it.

QC_Blondie
on 4/10/17 4:10 pm
Revision on 05/23/17

Thank you Diana! We're now waiting on medical clearance from my pulmonary Dr so we can submit to insurance. I wish my original surgeon had suggested a bypass to start as well. It could have saved a lot of pain and another surgery. It's frustrating because he never discussed that gerd could become a complication. He said multiple times I wouldn't need a PPI anymore after the sleeve.

Congrats on getting your revision and having great success with it! It gives me hope!

stacyrg
on 4/11/17 10:12 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY on July 1, 2016 because of severe GERD. i was able to sleep lying flat in the hospital immediately after my surgery. I would not hesitate to do the revision! Let me know if you have any questions.

QC_Blondie
on 4/12/17 7:47 pm
Revision on 05/23/17

Oh that sounds so nice to lay flat like normal! How is the diet change for you? From what I've read from the Dr it doesn't seem too different from my current diet. I did see something about not being able to eat nuts which I need to ask about at my next appointment. I usually incorporate almonds into my afternoon snacks. I'll miss not having them!

stacyrg
on 4/12/17 11:41 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had no changes to my diet. I eat nuts all the time. I really have never heard of bypass patients being unable to eat nuts

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 4/12/17 3:13 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

I'm looking at possibly having to revise to Rny and I'm only 7 months out from VSG. My acid reflux was very mild before surgery and stayed that way after surgery until about 2 months ago. My surgeon even upped my dose of Prevacid to twice a day 3 weeks ago and it's only gotten worse. I'm at the point now that my esophagus feels so swollen from the reflux and it's so uncomfortable. They are scheduling me for an EGD to take another look and see how much damage has been done. I never imagined how bad acid reflux could be. I was told it was 50/50 if it would get worse but I never expected the swelling feeling and the difficulty swallowing with it. Kinda wish I was told too how bad acid reflux can get and I may have had the RNY originally.

Nura777
on 4/12/17 6:05 pm

I am sorry. It's an awful feeling, I deeply sympathize. I read several posts some here and others on facebook where Dexilant (a type ofmedication) worked when others didnt. It also sometimes helps when you switch to a different ppi like Pronotix.

All the best.

QC_Blondie
on 4/12/17 7:59 pm
Revision on 05/23/17

That has to be even more frustrating for you to be so close to the original surgery date. Yes try the dexilant if you can. I was taking that last year after I had met my deductible. I had to switch to omneprazole this year due to cost. With my stinky insurance the dexilant would have been over $600 for 90 days. The omneprazole is $15 for 90 days. I feel like the dexilant controlled the reflux a little better during the day but not a huge difference. That swollen feeling is awful. It makes you feel like you're choking sometimes. Ugh I won't miss that at all!

Most Active