11 years out and seeing surgeon, am I too "lightweight" for revision?

ShandrewsCA
on 2/24/17 10:40 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

I thought I was one of the lucky ones too, I never ever thought I would deal with hunger issues so far out from my WLS. Some of the posters here are acting like I am eating whatever I want, but that is just not true. If you look at my nutrition from yesterday it was tons of protein, healthy fats, and I think pretty low carbs (45g net). If I was eating what I wanted you would be seeing some tacos on that list LMAO!

mp8btpc
on 4/12/17 3:47 pm
VSG on 08/13/10 with

GOD I WISH THE HUNGER WOULD GO AWAY! 6 years 9 months out I could eat a horse.

Donna L.
on 2/23/17 6:28 pm, edited 2/23/17 10:28 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

posted information here about why what kind of food you eat is important.

Fat has the most satiety - period.  Protein and carbs do not.  Carbs of any sort stimulate hunger the most, because they stimulate insulin, which naturally raises our hunger.  The best diet to eat is low carb if you need to suppress hunger.

I eat about 60-80g of protein a day (well, this week anyway) and most of the rest of my calories after are just fat.  I am literally never hungry.  I know RNY peeps who eat the same way and have a similar result.  

Revisions are hard to get done.  I think it depends why you want to revise.  50% of EWL is considered a success in bariatric surgery.  They might be able to make an argument for it?  

Before surgery I'd try a diet of 65-85g protein/day, and consistently less than 50g of carbs total.    20g or fewer carbs is preferable.  After a few days of hunger you will become fat adapted and start using your own fat for energy.  Your hunger will drop significantly.

I eat from 800-1200 calories a day and lose ~6-10lbs a month at 20 months out from surgery, depending on my stress level largely So it can be done.  Carbs make it far harder, though, even veggies and fruit.  Fruit often spikes glucose the worst of all.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ShandrewsCA
on 2/23/17 7:10 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

Here is what I ate today. As you can see, it is very similar to what you are eating as well. Healthy fats, good carbs, high protein, no fruit (still dump on too much sugar, even natural). I, too, would eat 800-1200 cal/day to lose for the first 10 years after my GBS - but that has changed for me the last couple of years, which is why I am worried.

Donna L.
on 2/23/17 9:16 pm, edited 2/23/17 1:19 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I would be really annoyed at being hungry all the time, too.  That sucks.  When I'm hungry I just eat fat.  I'm immediately full.  I wonder if the pouch does not allow for the same effect?  I honestly would be very frustrated like you are.  I stalled for quite some time post-op.  In my case it was more a "stall" in that I was eating way too many carbs/crap.

When I eat 50g of carbs, that's primarily dairy and usually a sweet potato.  I avoid processed food like crazy.  The sweeteners always make me gain even if I am under 1000 calories.

Grains in general are not weight loss friendly.  You'd probably do better eating a small salad with protein at those times, hard boiled eggs, string cheese.  You have a slight fat and protein malabsorption too.  I would not worry too much about eating fat.  Does it give you problems?  The fat will make you fuller longer.  Milk and cereal spike insulin significantly.  Whey protein, actually, spikes insulin a great deal.  When insulin gets triggered we get hungrier, and we also store calories as fat.

Despite that, you are right.  What you are eating is decent. It may be the starchier foods are triggering hunger, however.  It might be worth giving the "5 day meat test" a shot and see if it helps with satiety... a good excuse to eat steak if nothing else, heh.

My diet looks more like this on average, but I also try hard to stay close to zero carb.  I also try to drink about 80 oz of water a day.  I also haven't had the last bit of fat before bed (I have chai tea with some cream).  I...apparently eat way less fat than I thought, weirdly.  Strange.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ShandrewsCA
on 2/24/17 8:51 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

Haha, your nutritional stats are arranged in a different order than mine so at first I thought you were eating 120g of carbs! I see you have 0 fiber; do you mind sharing what you are doing to avoid constipation? I have tried two of the powders you mix into water (Metamucil and another I can't remember) and I dumped on them :(

Donna L.
on 2/24/17 9:59 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
On February 24, 2017 at 4:51 PM Pacific Time, ShandrewsCA wrote:

Haha, your nutritional stats are arranged in a different order than mine so at first I thought you were eating 120g of carbs! I see you have 0 fiber; do you mind sharing what you are doing to avoid constipation? I have tried two of the powders you mix into water (Metamucil and another I can't remember) and I dumped on them :(

Hahaha.  Sorry about that!

If you eat higher fat that helps with constipation just as much as fiber.  I only ever had some the few weeks post-op on liquids only.  For that I just mixed some Miralax in with my shakes.  Usually my fat is much higher, but I usually eat protein according to what is on sale.  I think my total fat is also higher because that is WAY too low for chuck roast.

Fat usually will help a lot, though!  Also, magnesium citrate is very helpful.  They sell it in the drugstore, $1 a bottle, and it also is good for electrolytes, too.  300 grams/about 6 ounces has like 60-70g of fat.  So my total fat is probably closer to 100g.

Fiber always constipates me, and I noticed my reflux/gas is worse the more fiber I eat.  However, my diet is also really different.  Because I eat high fat/low carb I do not need fiber - fat keeps the "wheels greased" so to speak.  If you eat more plants/grains you will usually need more fiber.  

Your menu really wasn't terrible, honestly!  You might just be more sensitive to carbs than the average person.  We are all different.  I gain weight just typing out the word carbs, probably, I am so sensitive, lol.  But, we all have to find what works for our physiology.

For many people they really have to eat less to lose.  I am one of them.  This is why I eat high fat, because I would go insane being hungry constantly.

ShandrewsCA
on 2/24/17 10:45 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

Thank your kind post :) Maybe I'm being sensitive but some of the other posts are coming off not particularly friendly and remind me a lot of what was said to me by other "normal" people back when I was going through the WLS process. I am going to try the magnesium citrate, thanks for that tip!

Regarding the carbs, eating btw 30-50 net carbs a day used to do the trick for me to lose any gain, but apparently not the case anymore. When I go to the doctor's next week, I'm sure he will run tests to see if there is any type of mechanical failure of my GBS. If there is, we will deal with it. If there isn't, then he can refer me to a nutritionist (I have to have a referral from my insurance).

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/17 10:35 am

I hate the taste and mouthfeel of fat and it totally rebounds on me ..

Ladytazz
on 2/23/17 9:26 pm

Just a couple of thoughts.  First off, throw out the exercise mumbo jumbo.  Exercise if great for toning and well being but forget about it having any affect on your weight.  Unless you are an extreme athlete the amount of calories burned, despite with MFP and others say, really do not make an impact on what we weigh.  I have never seen a person who could eat 1500 calories a day and exercise 500 calories a day who lost weight.  It is great in theory but it doesn't seem to be valid in practice.

Second, we are all different.  You can gain on 1500 calories, I can maintain on the same amount.  No clue why, although it may have to do with malabsorption, but this is what works for me right now.  And things change, especially as we get older.  Metabolism rates are different per person and even with the same person depending on age and who knows what else.

What it came down to me is finding a way to eat that I am comfortable with, can live with and not have to deal with hunger, which for me colors my judgement.  What I think is a cup of food really turns out to be 2 cups if I take the time to actually measure it.  And taking the time to measure it depends on my motivation to actually eat less.

So what I  have decided is that I find what I can live with as far as kinds of food and amounts of food and then I accept whatever weight that leaves me at.  If that isn't possible, ie it leaves me at a much higher weight then I am comfortable with, I have to either change my comfort level regarding food or regarding my weight.  I have yet to find a way to make the amount of food I want to eat to match up with resulting in the amount I weigh.  I can either eat more and weight more or eat less and weigh less.  I can't have both.

Fortunately I am in a happy place, today, where I can live with the numbers.  But I also know that the day may and probably will come where I have to make a choice and sacrifice in one area or the other.  But the key is being honest with myself about both things.

The facts are, no matter how you slice it, you want to eat more than you want to weigh less.  And that is perfectly fine.  When you reach the point where you are wanting to weigh less more than you want to eat more then you sill make the necessary changes.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active