Texas - Revision due to Severe Reactive Hypoglycemia?

Calliope44
on 1/30/17 9:58 pm

I totally hear what you're saying. On more than one occasion I have had to pull over, park and essentially pass out. I too am imperfect, but I expect a reaction those times. It's when I eat grilled chicken and Greek salad that catch me off guard. I really feel your frustration. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/17 5:17 am

I used to get BS in low 30, even below. My body would start "freaking out " when my BS was in mid 30 and dropping.  That often was too low to correct fast enough and I had a few blackouts... Not anymore. By changing my diet very drastically, removing any foods that could cause high - then low BS - and doing that for close to 2 years - my system is slowly recovering. Now I know my BS is dropping when it gets below 60 ... In low 50 I get a very strong reaction.  Plus now I only get the RH When I eat foods that will cause it - I.e sugars, sweets, pretzels, milk items, alcohol..etc..  Alcohol increases my RH. Do i don't drink it . None. 

I am also not perfect but I am responsible adult and I know that if I eat or drink  the wrong things not only I would risk my life but life of others. 

I keep nuts and nut butters (NSA - no sugar added) in my car.  I keep meat jerky (the no to very low sugar) in my car.  

There was the time that I would stick myself every 15 or 30 min to check my BS so I would know how some foods affect me. I.e. more that 1tsp of potatoes, even if I eat it with fat and proteins, can cause "insulin storm" in my body and RH. Same with most bread - flour- grains.... I just can't eat that and maintain good blood sugar. I.e. small sandwich may make me "chase" my blood sugar for 4-6 hours after... So I don't eat that. I know it is easier said that done, and it took me close to a year to be OK with that.  But now it is a second nature to me. It is what it is. 

If they "reverse" you - maybe they can make a sleeve? That may give you a chance to see if in time the pancreas stop dumping so much insulin into your body.  It worked for some people. But some were still very sensitive to carbs -sugars. 

I would do anything before I would allow anyone to mess with my pancreas... That is really like playing Russian roulette... IMO...

And if getting a different job may help you with the diet and the situation - you need to do what you need to do. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 1/31/17 3:15 pm, edited 1/31/17 7:16 am - plymouth, MN

I'd pose this issue with a bariatric surgeon. In my case being reversed, I'm not going to make that suggestion. I'm not a doctor and if you have one medical professional throwing out corrective surgery, it must be for good reason. 

From what I know in my case, having an amazing nationally ranked surgeon who did both my lap rny and my open reversal, is that both great surgerons and no so great surgeons can have a wait time. If what you are going through isn't enough to be acutely hospitalized but is wrecking havoc on your life, try to pick the best one and start now versus picking someone who may be willing to do some type of revision but may create secondary issues, if they aren't a seasoned bariatric surgeon, if for some reason seeing the surgeon who did your rny isn't an option 

In my case though my complications that led to my reversal also caused a lot of medical hosptializations. While I see people in the reversed community (yes, there is one now!!!) that sometimes even a taketown doesn't eradicate severe hypoglycemia, I still have a friend struggling with that, really badly. In my case, my reversal helped the severe reactive hypoglycemia and inability absorb nutrients but not right away and that was secondary reasons because I had gi bleeds. 

Where I'm not being anywhere helpful is that I don't know anyone, even being the wls communities for so long who had a revision just for severe reactive hypogycemia. I hope there are others who can chime in, because unfortunately severe reactive hypoglycemia can happen even if someone isn't eating ANY carbs, that's what happened to a few people I know, myself included.  

Is this the only complication that you're having? Are you absorbing nutrients and not having any other issues?

Again, I hope other people chime in, but if your endocrinologist doesn't have a surgeon in mind, maybe there is a bariatric surgeon where they have priviliges at the same hospital as your endo,  might be a good starting place, if no one here can recommend a local bariatric surgeon for you. 

Keep us posted.... 

Most Active