No more weight lose after 1 year

Jwy
on 1/17/17 6:56 am

I had RNY revision and only lost 20 lbs.  That was from the month when I was on a soft soup only diet after the surgery.  It was a total failure for me and there was never a reduction in the amount I could eat.  I ended up having a revision to BPD surgery.  I got BPD only not the DS.  Everybody on this site says that a terrible mistake, but I did a lot of medical research on it and the research doesnt support the opinion of the people on this site.  Several doctors that I researched did not recommend the DS for me, I think because of my recent ( 1 year prior) RNY revision.  I am happy with the result, but it has only been 2 months now, so I am still fairly new to this.  I was so disappointed in the first revision surgery and think I was mislead by an unscrupulous doctor.  I did a ton of research before my second revision and ended up having it in Brazil with Dr. Marchesini.  Hope that time will prove me right on my decision.  

Tammy P
on 1/17/17 7:37 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hi Jwy,

Thanks for sharing your story; it's very helpful.  How soon after did you get your second revision surgery?  BTW, what is BPD surgery?

Jwy
on 1/17/17 8:37 am

I had my BPD surgery about 10 months after my RNY revision.  BPD stands for biliopancreatic diversion.  More commonly done is the BPD/DS, which is the duodendal switch.  I may be spelling them wrong, but you get the gist.  You can search on the forums and find the DS forum.  They have lots of information there and plenty of those people are revisions from other surgeries.  One thing that happened to me is that several of the revision drs in Mexico didnt want to do a revision to BPD/DS on me because of my recent RNY revision.  I have never read about anybody else having that issue, but that is my experience.  The revision surgery is complicated and there arent that many surgeons who are competent to do it.  I am a relentless researcher and there were only a few that I contacted.  There are some good ones here in the US, but of course their prices are way higher.  My insurance didnt cover it so I was self pay and the US prices werent an option for me.  The dr I went to in Brazil is a world class dr, but he recommended the BPD not the BPD/DS.  At first I was really upset about that, but after looking into it more, I felt OK about it.  If you read on the forum, there is a complete negativity about the BPD only.  While I think there is a wealth of knowledge on the forums, none of those people are drs.  Good Luck,

Tammy P
on 1/17/17 9:14 am - Brooklyn, NY
hollykim
on 1/17/17 9:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 15, 2017 at 12:52 AM Pacific Time, Tammy P wrote:

hello, 

It's been over a year since I had my revision RNY surgery and I've only lost 26lbs and there's been no more weight dropped 

has this happened to anyone and is there hope? 

if you haven't lost in a year then you are eating too many calories and you are in maintenance. 

Best loss is seen for most ppl at 600-800 calories, high protein low carb.

Tammy P
on 1/17/17 9:13 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hey HollyKim

You know I think I'm going to drop down to 600 cals.  Right now I do 800 BUT I know there are times that I go over.  I need to watch that.  Thanks for the idea of 600!! 

Most Active