Revision due to prescriptions and several new diagnoses

rocky513
on 12/29/16 5:01 am - WI

I would think that a fistula would be considered a mechanical failure of the original surgery.  You don't have to meet the criteria of your original surgery to fix a mechanical failure.  You won't have to jump through the hoops they made you go through the first time.  Go back to your original surgeon and bring all the documentation you have.  Most insurance companies have a one WLS per lifetime clause, but this is not a new surgery just to lose regain.  It's a surgery to fix a mechanical failure.  You won't know what they will cover unless you try.  Keep fighting for it!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Suzanne_Paulette
on 12/29/16 5:38 am - Lamonte, MO

Thank you for the support and potentially good news! (I'm from the Show - Me state, I don't believe it until it's true!) I am pretty angry they didn't fix it when they found it. I thought a fistula was a big deal! Fortunately I have all my info, tests, reports, clinic notes, procedures and diagnoses in the University of Missouri system... So that's definitely a plus I don't have to talk down medical records! I just want my pouch back. This weight gain since September is completely discouraging... I thought I was doing so good! Anyway, thank you! - Suzanne

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/3/17 5:02 am

Sincevyou are addressing the issues - I hope that you also had a good gastro doc. 

Post op RNY or really any WLS some of us can be prone to SIBO and candida.  SIBO in itself can cause do many issues including fibromyalgia, food allergies and intolerance, IBS, mental issues, pain, bloating, weight gain, etc...  Plus - at 5 years post op - some mineral and vitamin deficiencies can also increase the depression..Like iron, B12, D3, proteins, - just to list a few of them. With iron - low ferritin - below 50 or 30 can make me feel really bad, depressed, "crying" baby. B12 below 800 - I can fell really tired, sluggish.  On another hand - too high B6 can can be as bad as low B12... 

Unfortunately- most of the time once we have SIBO and candida - we can manage it with meds and diet but it can be very difficult to get rid of it due to our WLS.  But we can correct vitamin - mineral levels and adjust them to optimal for us level.  Often "normal - low normal" is not good enough for some, if not all of us.  I personally like most of my numbers to be high normal, except B6 and PTH- that I want to be in a middle range. 

We need to monitor our own labs. Most doc's will tell us " you are fine" even when the numbers are just 1 point above "lowest normal" value for that marker.  For a year my ferritin was at 10-11 and I had all the symptoms of low iron (level OK for my lab were 10-250) but I was told "you are OK..No deficiencies) grrr.....While I felt tired all the time, got winded when I walked up the stairs, and got seriously depressed, tired with RLS symptoms. Getting a series of iron infusion really helped me to feel more like myself. 

Google SIBO... candida, FODMAP,  SCD diet...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Suzanne_Paulette
on 1/8/17 12:19 pm - Lamonte, MO

I do appreciate your advice and words. I meticulously look through my labs, they've been taken twice a year just to be safe. Fortunately my levels have always been middle of the road except a couple of times, which we adjusted. I'll look into those searches!

Most Active