Kaiser ok'd for RNY, but not DS (mostly yay!)

Diana S.
on 12/15/16 12:20 pm - Georgetown, CA

Thank you Donna, that's what my research is pointing me to. I think my reflux issues will resolve when the weight does, and I've gone over my past records and indeed my reflux wasn't an issue when I was on the lowest part of my VSG journey. I will try the gluten, lactose, and whey elimination, and see if timing helps control my current reflux, to see if that helps at all now... then it won't be so much of a concern post-DS. I appreciate your support! and good luck on your own DS adventure!

Donna L.
on 12/15/16 12:48 pm, edited 12/15/16 4:49 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It is an educated risk to get the DS, however it is no less risky to get the RNY in terms of reflux resolution. No surgery guarantees it will be reversed.  Even if we could do the GERD standard surgery (it's called a Nissan fundoplication, however we do not typically have enough stomach) even that would not guarantee a resolution of reflex either.  Reflux is very complex sometimes.  Don't get me wrong - RNY is a good surgery.  It does have significant statistical resolution for GERD.  So does the DS, too, if you read a lot of the WLS & GERD studies.  It is not as dramatic, however it is still pretty significant.

I was actually surprised that food and habit had such a great effect on my reflux.  My improvement is 100% due to help from people here.  It made a bigger difference than Dexilant did, which was amazing by itself. 

Good luck, Diana!  Keep us posted :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/19/16 10:41 pm

The sleeve / DS is not a guarantee of reflux, and completely depends on why you have reflux. I had the DS, and had years of reflux pre-op, and haven't had even one episode after. The surgeon often fixed certain hernias during the surgery, and that can alleviate reflux, and for me, just losing weight seemed to be the fix, even before I'd lost but a few pounds. Almost 9 years post op, and not a single instance of gerd since. Honestly, I'd rather deal with mild gerd, and adjust meds or diet for it, than deal with bypassing my pyloric valve for many reasons.

Valerie G.
on 12/22/16 6:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's pretty common to have to fight for the DS with Kaiser.  You may want to consult with Pacific Laparoscopy in San Francisco.  You can't get better experienced DS surgeons than them.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active