Wish I would've chosen different

bublegirl1
on 11/17/16 6:28 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Hi all. Been away for a long time. Had vsg in 2010. Then revised to RNY in 2014. First surgery went from 287 to 209. Gained to 250 and stayed there a couple years. After RNY I went from 250 to 196. My lowest adult weight ever. Hadn't been under 200 since grade school. And here I sit at 235 and disgusted and angry with myself. I have good restriction and when I do eat well it seems it's super slow to come off or doesn't. I'm in my 40s now so that doesn't help. Plus with having  PCOS and now  my calorie malabsorption almost gone I'm struggling bad. I really wish I had gone with DS. I was too scared to do it because of the vitamin requirements and possible bowel issues. But I feel like I needed the lifetime malabsorption that it offers. 

Just venting and hoping and praying I can get back on track and combat the insulin resistance that PCOS mimics. So frustrated. 

-Amie

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 11/18/16 7:22 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I can understand your frustration...I had RNY in 2002 lost 220lbs and regained almost all of it.  I have been to doctor after doctor to find someone who will revise me to the DS but no, can't fine one.  The last doctor I went to said he would revise me to a distal RNY but not do anything to my stoma, which is enlarged...I've been going to doctors since July 2016 and feel defeated at this time.

So, hugs and hang in there, I wish my RNY was a DS but back in 2002 even fewer did it

Christine

bublegirl1
on 11/21/16 11:00 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Thank you so much. You're right it's so frustrating. I really hope you can find someone to safely do the procedure. One of the top surgeons is in my medical group and highly recommended by many people here on OH and instead of going with him for a DS I let my other surgeon revise to RNY. I was so scared of a DS. But I feel like I made a mistake. But I need to try my best to get control again.  

-Amie

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 11/22/16 2:40 am - Ventnor City, NJ

I'm terrified that if I go along with this surgeon and do the distal rny that I will regret it but I don't know if I have the energy to seek out doctor after doctor until I find one that will do the DS

hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/27/16 3:16 pm

There are only a very few surgeons that can patch back together the pouch from RNY, to then make a proper sleeve / DS. There are a few more that claim they can, but considering it's a much more complicated surgery than a virgin DS, I'd only consider one of the vetted surgeons. 

If you are interested in finding a surgeon that can actually do it, I recommend looking at DSfacts

Stephanie S.
on 12/22/16 10:33 pm - NC
DS on 01/24/17

Our stories are very similar.  I had VSG 3 years ago.   And I have PCOS also, which makes weight loss so difficult!  I have to make the decision this weekend on RNY or DS or SIPS.   My doctor is really leaning towards SIPS.   But I'm so nervous!    Anyway, I wanted to share that I was just in a support group class last week with a woman who had RNY and they denied her for a revision.   She has gained and is feeling very defeated.  The dietitian told her that there are ways to make her current surgery work.   She talked about getting back to basics and doing a "pouch reset."   Have you heard of that?  I haven't, but the woman nodded and said she would do that.   Best wishes to you.   You CAN do this!

HW: 349   CW: 295   GW: 175

bublegirl1
on 12/22/16 10:44 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Thanks for the kind words. What exactly is a SIPS? I wish you much success with whichever you choose!

-Amie

hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/27/16 3:22 pm

SIPS, SADI, LOOP, there may be more names for it now. I personally would steer clear of it just because there is no long tern data on it yet. It's too new.

Based on the anatomy, it will likely be as or more effective than RNY without the increased risk of dumping, reactive hypoglycemia or stoma issues, but will be less effective than DS. It will be interesting to see how it does in the future, but I wouldn't sign on to be a guinea pig when there are better options still.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/27/16 3:44 pm

Since you already have the sleeve, you would be wise to consider the DS for multiple reasons, other than it being the most effective surgery. 

PCOS is best addressed with DS, but you also already have the stomach of the DS, so less surgery, and not like a huge revision.

The RNY to DS surgery IS a huge deal, and if you had a sleeve, then that is cut up to make a pouch for RNY, then want a revision again to DS, your chances are slim in finding even an expert that will do it. There can be too much damage / scarring, or too little left of stomach tissue. I honestly can't think of any reason I'd go from sleeve to RNY, and lots of reasons I wouldn't.

Research, and decide what will work best for you before picking a surgeon. Unfortunately, most surgeons only recommend what they happen to know (vast majority only RNY) and they will only recommend that, even if it's not in the patients best interest. Understand that ahead of time if you go to a surgeon that only does RNY, even if they claim they do all procedures, then don't actually have any patients that actually HAVE those other procedures. They don't turn away paying customers. 

Also just going to mention the pcos, as I was plagued with issues related to it for decades, but now have had all issues resolve, and no longer take and prescriptions (skin tags gone, dark/thick skin patches gone, quit sprouting chin hairs, and periods became as regular as clockwork, blood sugar normalized). The only drawback was I still had to have the hairs that had already sprouted before surgery dealt with (laser or electrolysis) but after DS, I quit sprouting new ones so no laser anymore. Ahhh.

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/23/16 2:06 pm
I'm so sorry you are experiencing this! But on the positive-you have good restriction! That is something you can work with!

The DS is great, but I would really try to focus on what you have going for you. You didn't regain all your weight, and you know if you eat right you can lose weight (albeit slow).

There are a lot of supportive people here that can point you in the right direction. I think the best thing you can do is after christmas (or before) start on a low carb high protein diet. It's hard for the first few days...but after that.....it gets easier...MUCH easier.

Scott
Most Active