Moving towards revision, what now?

SpartanMom03
on 9/11/16 2:35 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

I was banded in 2010 and had some success for the first three years.  Now, a little over six years out, I'm in the process of being approved for revision to sleeve.  I was down to 200 from a high of 272 and was able to maintain that weight for a while.

Unfortunately, the LapBand has done some serious damage to my esophagus-when I eat too much, the food sits in the back of my throat.  I have reduced motility.  My esophagus has become tired-according to my dr.

Late last year, my band was completely emptied when the upper GI results showed that the barium wasn't passing through-it just sat in the esophagus.  The radiologist kept telling me to swallow, which I did, and the fluid still didn't go through.  I didn't start filling again until February but was only able to tolerate three fills before the symptoms returned.

My bariatric doctor recommended that I look into revision and I won't lie, initially I was completely against the idea.  Now I'm now sitting at the highest weight I've been since right being banded and am ready for something to be done.

I have done my sleep study, met with the dietitian and exercise physiologist, psych evaluation is completed.

I'm just waiting on all the reports to be compiled so it can get submitted to insurance.  I know the LapBand removal is approved since the band is considered to be "in failure".  

I want your advice-

1. How do i reply when people ask why i think this surgery will work?
  2. My husband is completely against the idea of a revision-anyone else worked through that?
  3. Most importantly-if you could tell me the thing you wished you knew prior to revision, what would it be?

Thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/11/16 7:35 pm

If the band did some damage to your esophagus- then you need to make sure sleecebwould work for you and would not cause more issues...like GERD and more damage... 

Maybe RNY is a better choice for the situation? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SpartanMom03
on 9/12/16 6:48 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

My surgeon has already approved the move to sleeve.  I'm going to trust his opinion.  I appreciate your response, but that part of the decision has been made.

Hilarious
on 9/13/16 6:18 pm - Coram, NY

How do i reply when people ask why i think this surgery will work?

I am 10 months out from lap-band removal and revision to RNY. No one asked me why they thought this would work because like your lap-band, my lap-band failed (mine slipped - very similar symptoms to yours) and I still needed a weight loss tool and that's what I said. In my head I hoped so badly for it to work thogpugh.

My husband is completely against the idea of a revision-anyone else work through that?

My husband was also against this surgery but I think my life and my health is more important than anything, so think of me as selfish. For me it was a difficult recovery from an emotional perspective as I couldn't share what I was going through with him and he is my best friend. When he started seeing the results, he changed and became much more supportive. He also has a problem with weight and he has been making some good diet changes that are definitely easier to do when I eat so clean (no candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, fried foods, etc.).

Most importantly-if you could tell me the thing you wished you knew prior to revision, what would it be?

The one thing I wish I knew before revision surgery . . . How amazing I would feel with the RNY vs. the lap-band. I honestly loved the lap-band and lost 100 lbs and maintained an 80 lb loss over almost 9 years. I thought it was great and was heartbroken to have to have it removed. I now can eat whatever i want, like steak and shrimp, and have not thrown up once! It's pretty terrific on the other side and I wish you much success!

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

Travelher
on 9/26/16 8:09 am
Revision on 10/04/16

So happy to read your post Hilari,

I was banded in 2005 and had a de-fil done in 2008 when I had my son.  I never had it fully re-filled because of all the issues I had with it. (acid reflux etc) Though I only had a partial fill even that failed early this year.  I'm now 30lbs heavier than I was pre-band.  I would never, ever recommend a band to anyone and I'm hoping and praying that my scar tissue is not going to be an impediment on Tuesday to the RNY. If it is, my doc will do a sleeve.  but I'm praying the bypass works. 

Most Active