Revision for Canadians?

sharibear
on 9/9/16 1:24 am

I had rny 6 years ago. I did not do well even though I followed most all rules. I lost 150 pounds when I needed to lose 300. I showed my surgeon my exercise log and food journals and he said I should have lost more. Since then I gained back 100 pounds. He told me revisions are not offered in Canada. A girl I know who had weight loss surgery had a revision done but I was told its rare. She had to fight for it. Anyone else in Canada on this forum that had revision surgery? I am lost. I do not know why I did not lose more weight. I am back in 400's again and not happy. I feel like having surgery was a waste and it was not from not trying. Shari

hollykim
on 9/9/16 9:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 9, 2016 at 8:24 AM Pacific Time, sharibear wrote:

I had rny 6 years ago. I did not do well even though I followed most all rules. I lost 150 pounds when I needed to lose 300. I showed my surgeon my exercise log and food journals and he said I should have lost more. Since then I gained back 100 pounds. He told me revisions are not offered in Canada. A girl I know who had weight loss surgery had a revision done but I was told its rare. She had to fight for it. Anyone else in Canada on this forum that had revision surgery? I am lost. I do not know why I did not lose more weight. I am back in 400's again and not happy. I feel like having surgery was a waste and it was not from not trying. Shari

"followed most rules"... What ruled didn't you follow?

JosMcFadden
on 9/20/16 11:23 am - Oshawa, Canada

I know of one person that had the revision done, she had the VSG in 2009 I think, and the revision to RNY in 2014. I had my VSG  July 2015, I just had my one year appointment and got a date to meet the surgeon to talk about having a revisin to RNY, that appointment is oct 14, coming up quick. The team at TWH (Toronto Western Hospital) advised me that they will most likely not do the revision until I am 1.5-2 years post-op from having the VSG to give me the best chance of losing as much as I can before the RNY. My highest weight was 527lbs, I went into the surgery weighing 479lbs and currently I weigh 326 lbs,  I was fitting into 7X pants and 5x-6x shirts and now I I fit into 3x pants and 2x-3x shirts. 

Where are you located? Where did you have RNY? I don't know of anyone that has had a revision to their RNY! But it wouldn't hurt asking your Doctor to send in another referral, go to an orientation and see if they are willing to do a revision. 

1st Referal @ HRRH: Sept. 17, 2014; Orientation @ HRRH: Nov. 24, 2014; 2nd Referral @ TWH: Nov. 27, 2014; Orientation @ TWH: Jan. 7, 2015; SW: Jan. 22, 2015; Nutrition Class: Feb. 2, 2015; Sleep Test: Feb. 13, 2015; Psych: Feb. 18, 2015; Dietitian: Feb. 20, 2015; Nurse: Feb. 23, 2015; MTS: Dr. Todd Penner June 19, 2015; Surgery: Sleeve, July 20, Dr. Penner.

Travelher
on 9/26/16 6:37 am
Revision on 10/04/16

I am having my band to RNY next week with Dr. Christou.  I went with him because he seemed to be one of the surgeons with the most experience with revisions ~250.   I spoke to a couple of doctors offices in Ontario and didn't get any confidence that they had much experience with revisions.  One flat out said "we don't do revisions".

Pedrof
on 9/29/16 9:19 pm

Hi

Try to contact Dr Mitchell Gagner in Quebec, I think, he does revision surgery

Regards

thatgirlnsca
on 10/12/16 5:42 am
VBG on 01/01/89

Hi Sharibear

Several years ago, I had a VBG done.  I lost all my weight but have since gained it all back plus an extra 100 lbs.  I live in Halifax.  I also tried to get a revision done, with no luck finding a doctor until now.  I am getting a revision to a gastric bypass soon.  I am not sure the date yet, but I am in the process of losing 20 lbs or so before I go back to see the surgeon, then he will do the surgery.  

Perhaps we can encourage each other?   Have you found a surgeon?  

Most Active