IN SHOCK. Need my band out what is the best revision?

Mai23
on 7/8/16 3:48 pm

I have the sleeve, and considering converion to RNY. I hear the best course of action is actually duodenal switch, but I am freaking out over the RNY. My reasons for choosing the sleeve (i got it when it was the new procedure on the block) was that I didn't want to worry about dragging vitamins with me places, malabsorption etc. I've lived abroad frequently and things like liquid calcium citrate are hard to find some places. Also I didn't like the of idea of no NSAIDS ever again, etc. anyways I was happy with the sleeve, no supplements needed. But now I have stretched my sleeve (my fault) and have bad GERD. My gastroenterologist says he thinks about 37% of people with the sleeve end up with the kind of reflux I have now. Which is....indescribable. If there was a way to be resleeved and take care of my reflux, no RNY necessary, I'd do it. But the RNY is the gold standard and probably perfect for most people. 

annjones
on 8/23/16 11:29 am - Kansas City, KS
RNY on 02/13/17

I just had band removal and am waiting for 3 months to do revision surgery.  Everything I'm reading (and my docs recommendations) so far RYN will be my best tool.  I'm a bit scared.  Not of surgery, but of it screwing up my health or not working (like the band didn't)

Ann

Ann Jones
HW-304/SW-295/CW-226/GW-200

RNY Surgery 2/13/2017
12/23/08 Band Date - Removal Date 08/15/16

bandgirl
on 8/23/16 11:42 am

They say the RNY is the best, but I'm with you and not wanting to do all the vitamins.  I made a wrong choice with the band I don't want to make another bad choice.  I have the time guess I really need to think about this and maybe do the RNY. 

Most Active