Am I A Revision?

blinder
on 6/16/16 7:49 pm

I had the lapband removed 4 years ago due to a slippage and now I want another surgery. Am I considered a revision? For insurance purposes I asked the surgeon's office if I am and they said no. Well I called my insurance company (GEHA) and was told yes even though it has been 4 years since the removal. I ask because the requirements for a revision is very little unlike the typically option.  I would hate to be bossy and tell the surgeon's office to file my stuff as a revision because some customer service person told me I would be covered, but I rather not jump through hoops if I don't have to. Anyone have a revision years after a band removal? And I know no one can give me a definite answer, but I'm just looking for advice really. Thanks!!!

hollykim
on 6/18/16 8:59 am, edited 6/18/16 4:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 17, 2016 at 2:49 AM Pacific Time, blinder wrote:

I had the lapband removed 4 years ago due to a slippage and now I want another surgery. Am I considered a revision? For insurance purposes I asked the surgeon's office if I am and they said no. Well I called my insurance company (GEHA) and was told yes even though it has been 4 years since the removal. I ask because the requirements for a revision is very little unlike the typically option.  I would hate to be bossy and tell the surgeon's office to file my stuff as a revision because some customer service person told me I would be covered, but I rather not jump through hoops if I don't have to. Anyone have a revision years after a band removal? And I know no one can give me a definite answer, but I'm just looking for advice really. Thanks!!!

get the policy in writing to show the surgeons office.  Insist it be coded as a revision.

Surgeon likely gets paid more for a new procedure.

blinder
on 6/18/16 9:40 am

Oh thanks! I didn't even think about it possibly being more money in the surgeon's pocket. 

Most Active