Just revised from band to sleeve!

GuyMontag
on 6/10/16 5:26 am

After 9 long months of jumping through hoops to get approved by insurance, I finally got through surgery!  For my lap band I just went home after surgery.  With my sleeve I stayed in the hospital for two nights.  While having its share of annoyances, I thought staying in the hospital had several advantages such as always having someone there to take care of you and being able to catch any medical problems that might arise.

When I had my lap band I wasn't able to pee for days and when I finally called my doc's office they instructed me that I should go to the ER to get a catheter put in.  I had not idea how dangerous it was not to urinate after surgery.  However, when this same thing happened to me in the hospital they caught it early and worked with my right away to take care of the problem.

Some other general thoughts on both surgeries: While both surgeries left my abdomen very sore, the revision to sleeve left me with less internal pain from swallowing, burping etc.  When I had my band I felt like I needed to burp for days and it was super uncomfortable.

Also, with the band, I could tell when I needed to slow down drinking because I would immediately be in pain or feel like it was coming back up and I don't have that so far with the sleeve.  I take a sip and let it go down and I don't really have any signal that lets me know my stomach is ready for the next sip.  This may mean that I could drink faster than I am but I'm not willing to test that theory out at the moment.

That's about it for now.  So far I'm doing well and I'm looking forward to getting the weight back off!

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 2:45 pm

Most of our patients claim the band to sleeve surgery is easier than the original band placement.

Glad you got that thing out of you!

tamlalynn
on 6/15/16 2:36 pm

Same here..Sleeved on 6/7. 

bandgirl
on 6/26/16 3:21 pm

Just found out that I have to have my band removed.  I have not been using it I was told it flipped many years ago.  Now I'm having trouble with my port and they said it has slipped I need to have it removed.  Not looking forward to having another surgery looks like this time I have no choice.  So far you are very happy with your results?  For someone who looks like will have to have the same thing done would you do anything different?  Thank you for posting about the drinking that info really helps :-)

Most Active