Band to ??? revision...when should I get a complete de-fill

sheriberi29
on 4/17/16 9:45 am - Cleveland, TN

The sleeve is mostly restrictive just like the band BUT THEY remove the hunger hormone ghrelin and that reduces hunger . The band did nothing to fix hunger it was simply restrictive. The ds is not performed by many Drs near me and I was told it was to powerful for me as I have 45-50 to lose. I honestly just never educated myself about the ds . I have seen a lot of happy ds patients on here . Also the sleeve is the first step in the ds... They originally started doing the sleeve for patients that had a GREAT amount to lose but could not tolerate the whole ds. procedure . It allowed them to lose a substantial amount of weight until they were more healthy and could then do the second portion of the ds

TDotDana
on 4/17/16 11:48 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Perfect - thanks for filling me in - I don't think I knew about the hormone thing.

I am pretty much open to anything at this point - I simply do not want to have a "failed" procedure again and have to go through a 3rd - so I will be stressing that when I have my consult etc....

So much info to process - but thank goodness there is this forum that fills us in :)

Brandy Novak
on 4/18/16 12:06 pm - North Richland Hills , TX

I am going through something similar, What I am finding out is that it is not good to go from a Band to a sleeve like I did. They are basically considered the same as only a restrictive surgery. Many people that have gone from the band to the sleeve have minimal success due to the band causing internal damage that they can not cut as much as is needed off of your stomach from the scar tissue. I am going through the revision process now and hoping to go for the bypass. Good luck to you ! 

TDotDana
on 4/18/16 1:11 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks Brandy

how long did you have your band?  I've only had mine 3 years 

what you are saying is the same as what I read. I'm hoping for the DS but will wait to speak to the professionals before any decisions are made. 

Good of luck to you as well ?

Most Active