Band over bypass help

jennifert4
on 4/12/16 5:52 am

I had gastric bypass in 2011. I was 357 and got down to 197..... Slowly going up and weighing in at 234 right now. I've done the work, the protiens all of that. Dr has ran tests and my stoma is enlarged allowing food to pass through. Dr wants to preform a converson from proximal to medial, repair stoma and add the band. He says there's no guarantee repairing stoma alone will work long term. Really pushed the band, and said the complications are not as high in Simone with previous surgery. He stated you don't need a bunch of fills and that they use old stomach to help support the band. Anybody had any of these done? How long ago, complications? Pros and cons? Advice? He recommends adding the medial due to my original BMI but I too don't want to starve my body and become sick. I was ready for stoma repair and medial but banding to.... This all seems drastic but I need to stop this gain now. Please email me [email protected] I need help! This is set for July ?

Hislady
on 4/12/16 6:00 pm - Vancouver, WA

I had a band for 7 yrs and I would never suggest one for any reason. i still have permanent damage to my stomach from the band that was removed 2 yrs ago. Even empty they cause terrible damage to the stomach tissue and cause a great deal of scar tissue and tend to adhere to other organs and damage them. I wouldn't wish one on satan himself, they are evil, vile, foul contraptions that should be taken off the market. It also damages the vagus nerve and I still get left shoulder pain if i eat a bite too much, just say no to thee lap band!!!

Queen JB
on 4/15/16 5:14 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Please do not consider the band. You will be setting yourself up for so many more complications. My band was the worst things to happen to my health and it's only now, almost a year from having it removed, that I am starting to feel like a normal, healthy human being again. Most surgeons will not even place them anymore, so it is kind of alarming to me that your doctor is recommending it. Do some more reading and research. But good luck with whatever you choose!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Laura in Texas
on 4/15/16 10:01 am

Band over bypass does not have good long-term stats. Please do more research. None of the stoma "fixes" seem to have good results.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Nancy C.
on 4/15/16 7:48 pm - Dallas, TX

My advice to you is go to another doctor and get a second opinion. Don't tell the second Doctor what the first doctor said and see what his suggestions are independently. I've learned that if something sounds strange it probably is. Do some research online too and see how many other doctors use that suggested revision. Personally, I would not do anything that included a band of any kind. I went down that road once and I caused irreparable damage. Get another opinion. 

Keep me posted. Would love to hear your success. 

Nancy            
Most Active