Anyone went from VBG to RNY revision?

Daniasmum
on 4/5/16 10:37 pm

Hello Everyone, im new to the forum and im looking into a revisiom from VBG ( vertical banded gastroplasty) aka stomach stapling to a gastric bypass. I would like to hear  of anyone who had this type of revision. I had the original procedure 21yrs ago and never lost more than 40lbs and have been living with constant throwing up and GERD. Would love to hear of any stories . Many thanks in advance. 

WritergirlOttCity
on 4/7/16 10:28 pm, edited 4/7/16 3:28 pm
Revision on 04/04/16

Hi there! Just had my surgery on April 4. Laparoscopic is the way to go! I had the GERD issue, 0% motility in my stomach, partial break in the staple line, scar tissue making a 1cm stricture and on and on. I only lost 44lbs with VBG (12 yrs ago).

On Optifast pre-surgery I lost 17lbs approx. I only gained 3 during surgery. I haven't lost anything more yet, but I feel great. Energy is up. Surgery is practically painless compared to the open surgery I had with the VBG. I'm only on Tylenol every now and then. Started protein shakes today and no GERD. Yahoo! Hoping this time to train myself to eat protein, not soft carbs. Tons of support here in Ottawa and an excellent surgeon, Dr Yelle. Let me know if you have any more questions! 

Daniasmum
on 4/9/16 12:58 am

Thanks for sharing your story , it gives me hope. I went to see a surgeon who would like to covert to a gastric bypass he says it should help with the GERD and I should be able to lose more weight. Im waiting for insurance approval.

WritergirlOttCity
on 4/14/16 4:02 am
Revision on 04/04/16

Good luck! I'm down 29lbs now. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since starting Optifast. I'm pleased with that. I am in constant fear of the weight loss stopping like it did the last time. I'm going to talk to a behaviourist at my Weight Management Clinic. I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm trying to be a better manager of my weight loss this time. It's a project. 

Geminidawn
on 6/14/16 9:51 pm

Hi there...I am looking into getting a revision to the bypass as well. I have 2 gastro-gastric fistulas(staple line rupture) and have gained back all the weight I lost. I'm in Alberta and the process here is ridiculous, months and months of appointments and journaling and can still be denied after all that. What is the process in Ontario?  I'm curious how long it takes as well. Thank you:)

Laura in Texas
on 4/8/16 7:44 am

Rocky513 did. Send her a message.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Daniasmum
on 4/9/16 12:59 am

Thanks Laura will do .

peacebypiece
on 4/11/16 3:24 pm

Hi there: I had a vbg almost 30 years ago and a revision to RNY on March 21/16. Have lost 30 pounds so far (including 15 lost on 3 week pre-surgery optifast). Was done laparoscopically (while vbg was open). So far, so good:)

littlerocknettie
on 4/28/16 9:34 am
Revision on 12/23/15

I too had a VBG, mine in 1999.  I had a revision to RNY on 12/23/15.  Absolutely one of the best decisions I have made.  I also lived with the constant vomiting and GERD so bad that I could not sleep at night.  I haven't had GERD since the day of my RNY and I've only vomited once due to me overeating cauliflower (which I could not with the VBG).  It's wonderful, I can eat healthy food now like broccoli and fresh fruit.  I was also very malnourished with the VBG because I lived on ice cream (it was about the only thing to go down and stay down).  The VBG has been deemed unsafe and dangerous by the AMA.  If you can, get the revision...I love it!!!  The weight loss is slower though than with my first surgery.  With VBG I started at 343 and lost down to 241...gained back to 273 the day of my RNY...now I'm at 210 (and have been for like two weeks...grrrrr...).

Marie Campbell, Peru Indiana

Daniasmum
on 5/12/16 9:32 pm
On April 28, 2016 at 4:34 PM Pacific Time, littlerocknettie wrote:

I too had a VBG, mine in 1999.  I had a revision to RNY on 12/23/15.  Absolutely one of the best decisions I have made.  I also lived with the constant vomiting and GERD so bad that I could not sleep at night.  I haven't had GERD since the day of my RNY and I've only vomited once due to me overeating cauliflower (which I could not with the VBG).  It's wonderful, I can eat healthy food now like broccoli and fresh fruit.  I was also very malnourished with the VBG because I lived on ice cream (it was about the only thing to go down and stay down).  The VBG has been deemed unsafe and dangerous by the AMA.  If you can, get the revision...I love it!!!  The weight loss is slower though than with my first surgery.  With VBG I started at 343 and lost down to 241...gained back to 273 the day of my RNY...now I'm at 210 (and have been for like two weeks...grrrrr...).

Marie Campbell, Peru Indiana

Update, so just had the revision to a Gastric bypass on 5/9/2016 im now 4days post op and still in the hospital. I've been dealing with extreme nausea and vomiting so they've kept me 2 extra days . All I've had is very small sips of water and ice chips.  Haven't been hungry either so it's all good. They had to use 8 punctures because I had lots of scar tissue. I have to admit it's been rough with the pain. But so far so good. Tommorrow the will try again with the full liquid diet. 

Most Active