Post Op Questions!!!

butterfly13
on 3/27/16 10:59 pm
Revision on 04/06/16

Hey everyone! 

Sooooo.... I just went to my "pre-surgical seminar" and I wanted to ask you all a few questions about your experiences. From what I gather on this site - everyone has had quite a bit of different experiences so it would be helpful to hear what different people went through. 

1. Did you stay in the hospital overnight after surgery? If so, how long?
  2. How long was your procedure - start to finish? 
  3. How long did you have drains in? 
  4. How much weight did you lose BEFORE surgery and in the 1st week after procedure? 
  5. When did you have a REAL piece of meat for protein?
  6. Did your surgeon say that it was okay to have gummies for your vitamin intake? 
  7. Were you told to only count your "shakes as protein intake and not worry about counting the protein in real food"? IE: Make sure to have 5 protein shakes a day to equal 150g and whatever meats, etc you eat doesn't matter. 

Thanks everyone! I'm getting excited/super nervous about my upcoming surgery on April 6th! I'm trying to keep the anxiety down but maybe because this is a revision from the Band to the DS I have more than average? LOL 

cinand
on 3/28/16 10:08 am - Houston, TX

I don't have any answers, but we do share a surgery date!  So, wishing you good luck:)

butterfly13
on 3/28/16 9:26 pm
Revision on 04/06/16

And good luck to you as well!!! Yay! Lets stay in touch so we can get through this journey together!!! :) 

cinand
on 3/29/16 10:32 am, edited 3/29/16 3:34 am - Houston, TX
Hislady
on 4/2/16 7:56 pm - Vancouver, WA

It's so hard for anyone to give you an answer because every doc is different some are whole hog cautious and take every precaution all the way from pre op thru post op. Others are much more lax and have no pre op diet and just a as tolerated post op. Some use drains others don't. Some say gummies are fin others want special vitamins and total blood work every couple of months. By the way there is a new vitamin patch out, Patch MD.com, that is working very well for many of us so it is not malabsorbed and is easy to use. You would still have to add in anything that shows up deficient on your labs but they are easy to use! Some have you watch protein some others have you also watch carbs, some count the fluid in shakes and others don't. So as you can see it is pretty much a crap shoot as to what is out there. I would say don't worry about what others do just do what your surgeon tells you to and what the vets on the DS forum tell you and you will do well. Just relax have a nice cup of tea and a read a good book to keep your mind busy or get yourself one of the adult color books a huge box of crayons and go to town that should relax you! I had a band so I know even if your surgery were a total failure you'd still be better off than having a band!! However the DS is the most successful surgery so you will do great, just R..E..L..A..X

mylisa522
on 5/9/16 8:50 am
Revision on 05/04/16
Did you stay in the hospital overnight after surgery? If so, how long?
3 days
How long was your procedure - start to finish?
4 hours; had a problem removing band
How long did you have drains in?
3 days
How much weight did you lose BEFORE surgery and in the 1st week after procedure? 47 before and 6 since surgery
When did you have a REAL piece of meat for protein? N/A
Did your surgeon say that it was okay to have gummies for your vitamin intake? No gummies for me.
Were you told to only count your "shakes as protein intake and not worry about counting the protein in real food"? Any protein I can get in is counted.

Hope that helped.
Lisa

Only as high as we reach can we grow, Only as far as we seek can we go,
Only as deep as we look can we see, Only as much as we dream can we be!

butterfly13
on 5/14/16 9:17 pm
Revision on 04/06/16

Thanks, Lisa! I really appreciate your response! How are you doing? I wish you all the luck with your journey! Did you have the band removed and become revised to the DS? 

-Nicki 

mylisa522
on 5/15/16 4:22 pm
Revision on 05/04/16
Doing well. I tire easily. I try to walk around as much as I can for as long as I can and then have to nap. I was revised to RNY.
Good luck.
Lisa

Only as high as we reach can we grow, Only as far as we seek can we go,
Only as deep as we look can we see, Only as much as we dream can we be!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/16 9:21 pm
On March 28, 2016 at 5:59 AM Pacific Time, butterfly13 wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Sooooo.... I just went to my "pre-surgical seminar" and I wanted to ask you all a few questions about your experiences. From what I gather on this site - everyone has had quite a bit of different experiences so it would be helpful to hear what different people went through. 

1. Did you stay in the hospital overnight after surgery? If so, how long?
  2. How long was your procedure - start to finish? 
  3. How long did you have drains in? 
  4. How much weight did you lose BEFORE surgery and in the 1st week after procedure? 
  5. When did you have a REAL piece of meat for protein?
  6. Did your surgeon say that it was okay to have gummies for your vitamin intake? 
  7. Were you told to only count your "shakes as protein intake and not worry about counting the protein in real food"? IE: Make sure to have 5 protein shakes a day to equal 150g and whatever meats, etc you eat doesn't matter. 

Thanks everyone! I'm getting excited/super nervous about my upcoming surgery on April 6th! I'm trying to keep the anxiety down but maybe because this is a revision from the Band to the DS I have more than average? LOL 

A great deal depends on what surgery type you have and what you are revising to.  I had a band to sleeve 8 years ago, my post op instructions would be vastly different vs. someone getting RNY to DS, for example.

Gummies are never good vitamins.

Most Active