Large Sleeve being revised to DS

angiegettingfit
on 3/25/16 4:05 pm
VSG on 02/03/14

So I just found out yesterday through an EGD that my sleeve is "near normal capacity", after running a gammet of emotions about this, my surgeon says I have a strong case for a revision to the DS. He doesn't plan to fix my sleeve, but leave it at it's current size. Who out there had a large sleeve revised to the DS without being resleeved? how has your weight loss been?

kellye71
on 4/4/16 11:34 am - Lancaster, SC

I had a sleeve done in 2007 and had planned on revising it to a DS.... However, after they got in to do the procedure, they found that my sleeve was also stretched/enlarged and they found too much scar tissue and decided to perform a RNY instead.  Just because they think you are a candidate for a certain type of revision doesn't necessarily mean that's the surgery you will get.  My initial WLS "adventure" was to get the RNY but because of my weight & BMI they decided it was safer to do the sleeve & then do a revision later if necessary.  Of course I was very disappointed because I didn't want to have to think about enduring another major surgery, but anything at that time was better than nothing.  I lost almost half my weight with the sleeve, but could never get past a certain point and then started to regain.  I just had my revision done 4 days ago, so it's too early to tell how the results will be.  I wish you all the best.  I would also ask your surgeon about the possibility that he/she may decide to perform the RNY vs. DS based on what they encounter when they are actually able to get a good look at your anatomy -- xrays and scans don't tell the whole story.

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

-- African Proverb

Most Active