Surgery Date, Butterflies, and an Old Molina Band

cinand
on 3/24/16 8:42 am - Houston, TX

I've lurked here since beginning this journey in November. I had a small insurance mishap when my doctor's office coded my procedure wrong. I figured that had set me back a month or so .....but nope! I got the call this morning. Pre Op is tomorrow and surgery is April 6th. Suddenly every irrational fear out there is in my head:( I know in reading these forums that this is normal, but I'm scared. I'm revising an old Molina Band that was put on in 1995 to a bypass. My endoscopy revealed that Dr. Molina put the band on my esophagus instead of my stomach. No wonder I've struggled with eating anything except slider foods. In the early band stages, the surgery was a 6" open cut and the doctor went in basically blind. Those old bands ended up being placed just about anywhere. I already know that this surgery can have more complications due to scar tissue, etc. And I've been told by my doctor that my intestine might have to be attached to my esophagus instead of my pouch. However, there's an 80% chance that it won't be. So, I'm going with that 80%! I'm just ready to get this 20 year old band out of me and start the journey to a brand new me! I would appreciate some good thoughts and a few prayers as I undergo this procedure. .

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/16 5:03 am

Good thought sand prayers coming your way. I wish you all good luck getting to that new me.

keynote34
on 3/26/16 10:07 pm
Revision on 03/16/16

I totally understand your fears. I just had my band revised to a gastric this month. I was terrified. I did have damage from the lap band, but the surgeons know how to handle it. Lap bands are being removed at a very high rate these days. The surgery took a little longer than usual, but it went well. You're in good hands. They do this all the time. 

Now that I've had the band removed, I truly feel like the most terrifying part is keeping the band in, versus getting it out. Getting the band removed will be the best decision you will ever make. 

I will keep you in my prayers and will be sending positive thoughts your way. Best wishes. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/18 3:02 am

Do you mind sharing the name of a surgeon who has experience in removing and revision with these Molina bands? I have no idea who to use.

Timwcoman
on 4/4/16 10:21 pm

I had Molina surgery in 2001, was a horrible decision. I lost some weight,  but gained it all back. In 2011, I decided to have full bypass, found a surgeon who would touch me, and I lost a huge amount of weight after revision. I am normal weight now

PinkStarburst73
on 4/28/16 9:36 pm - SPRING, TX
Revision on 05/26/16

OMGosh!!!!!!! I have found my unicorn after all these years of searching!!! I honestly had to re-read your headline when I saw 'Molina band'!!!

I had the Molina band for 17yrs and I honestly cant tell you why I lived in that hell for all those years! I had it removed in January 2012 and revised to a sleeve in February 2012 in Mexico. I am currently scheduled for a resleeve and DS on May 26 with Dr. Esquerra in Mexico! 

I know this is a little late but I am sending lots of hugs and luck and prayers your way for your new journey! We've been thru enough with that stupid band and deserve peace and not having sit by a bathroom at restaurants!

**Third time is my charm**

HW-300/LW-140/CW-200/GW-135

alcade5
on 7/16/16 4:51 pm - Montgomery, TX

What Dr are you using. I have had the Molina band for 20 plus yrs. I had it removed 3 months ago through my throat. I am going to be self pay since my UHC insurance won't pay. I had my stomach ballooned and an hr later a kernel of corn got stuck. On total liquids. Hope your surgery went ok. Any advice. Thanks

cinand
on 7/16/16 5:14 pm - Houston, TX

I went with Dr. Primomo at The Davis Clinic. They are the best in my opinion. I spent 2 nights in the hospital and have never looked back. I remember telling Dr. Primomo that other than being very limited in the quantity I can eat, I can't tell I've ever had surgery.  He said that's  how it's supposed to be. My surgery was almost 4 hours because the band had adheared  to my liver and spleen. I would be happy to try and  answer any questions you have. I wouldn't wish the molina band on my worst enemy. 

Laura in Texas
on 7/17/16 6:32 am

I love The Davis Clinic, too!! Garth was my surgeon. I'm glad your revision was successful. I have heard lots of horror stories about the Molina band.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Annchan1020
on 9/17/17 2:38 pm - Chicago, IL

How difficult was it to get into see Dr. Garth at the Davis clinic? I would be coming from Chicago. I am despite to find someone as soon as possible. Your story is inspiring.

Most Active