Open surgery for a VSG to DS revision?

alykat1116
on 3/21/16 10:11 pm - NV

good evening all,

i posted this this also on the DS board so I hope it's okay to post here also.

I had my VSG done 2 years ago.

I've been researching and thinking seriously about revising to a DS. I had my consult today with Dr Rabkin in SF and my question is, that he told me right off the bat that he recommends that I get re-sleeved and revise to DS. I was expecting him to say that, however I was not expecting him to say that it must be an open procedure. Is this common? I've done a lot of research about this but I haven't seen many people say it was open. Dr Rabkin said the incision would be vertical from the bottom of my breastbone to the top of my belly button.

If you have had this, how was the recovery? I've had open surgery on my shoulder before but the thought of that large of an incision on my belly is making me think twice. I know he is a highly regarded DS surgeon and if I do revise to DS it'll be with him, this was just a curve ball to me today. Thanks all :)

Height: 5' 2''     HW: 310     SW: 273    CW: 239 (03/21/16)    VSG was on 03/10/2014  

hollykim
on 3/22/16 7:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 22, 2016 at 5:11 AM Pacific Time, alykat1116 wrote:

good evening all,

i posted this this also on the DS board so I hope it's okay to post here also.

I had my VSG done 2 years ago.

I've been researching and thinking seriously about revising to a DS. I had my consult today with Dr Rabkin in SF and my question is, that he told me right off the bat that he recommends that I get re-sleeved and revise to DS. I was expecting him to say that, however I was not expecting him to say that it must be an open procedure. Is this common? I've done a lot of research about this but I haven't seen many people say it was open. Dr Rabkin said the incision would be vertical from the bottom of my breastbone to the top of my belly button.

If you have had this, how was the recovery? I've had open surgery on my shoulder before but the thought of that large of an incision on my belly is making me think twice. I know he is a highly regarded DS surgeon and if I do revise to DS it'll be with him, this was just a curve ball to me today. Thanks all :)

he has huge experience with revisions, esp difficult ones. I would trust him. A large incision is a bit worse than lap but I would still do it.

okgal50
on 3/23/16 7:35 am

I am revising next month from a VBG (old stomach stapling) to RNY and have been told it must be open as well. My old surgery 12 years ago was open as well. The recovery is longer and yes you have quite a scar on your tummy, but I am willing to do it again for success. I don't recall much pain afterward but wish I had taken it easier.  I believe it's the scar tissue issue and what the surgeon may encounter that makes an open procedure preferable. Good luck!

peacebypiece
on 3/25/16 11:59 am

I had a revision from vbg ( stomach stapling almost 30 years ago) to a rny. The old surgery was open and the new surgery was not open. All went well and so far, so good with recovery.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 3/23/16 12:13 pm

You can't get a better surgeon for revisions, and I personally would trust his advice, and I usually DON'T trust the advice of surgeons, because I see most only recommend the limited procedure they do, even when not best for the patient. 

I remember reading years ago about why open surgery could be better, and wish I could locate that now. I'd just ask Rabkin why, as he's one of a very few surgeons I'd trust what they say.

Anyway, the scar really diminishes as you heal. It will shrink, as you do.

RedHead86
on 3/24/16 2:01 pm

I met with Dr Keshishian on Tuesday so just 2 days ago for my revision from sleeve (bad sleeve) to DS and he said mine would most likely be laparascopic but I am assuming that it's case by case because he asked to see my stomach before he told me that...

Maro
on 3/24/16 9:41 pm

Definately I would ask for another opinion. I have a sleeve and on tuesday will have a revision surgery into bypass by lapasoscopy. I consider now a days that an open surgery is for extreme cases.

Most Active