Shame, humiliation and pain

Kathyjs
on 3/21/16 8:05 pm

I hope you can get the revision. As far as other people, this is YOUR life, your body. You just do what you have to do. Wishing you all the best

Mell
on 3/22/16 8:27 am

I feel you! I have managed to keep my regain minimal off and on.  But I freel like the world is looking at me to fail and what is worse us I even get harsh wirds from other WLS patiens who have regained as if I font struggle like them. I struggle daily with food anxiety. 

We are no different than the diabetic who has had a foot amputated but still eats cake. Or the bypass patient who 6 months later goes back to eating fatty foods.

For whatever reason we are viewed as different. We are NO different than any other person who had been given a life saving surgery yet fails at maintaining our health. It is not an excuse for my behavior but I am still who I am and deserve to be treated with kindness.  

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Mell
on 3/22/16 8:29 am

Sorry about the typos! Working from my phone today. 

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

kellye71
on 4/4/16 11:42 am - Lancaster, SC

I had the sleeve several years ago and it worked up to a point, but I really needed the malabsorption aspect of a WLS too.  I wanted the RNY when I first had surgery but the powers that be felt it was safer for me to have the sleeve.  Granted I'm thankful I had something done, but it ultimately led me to requiring a revision because the weight started to come back and I was absolutely miserable and as you've written, a source of shame and humiliation for me because so many knew I'd had WLS and I was creeping back up to 300 pounds.  I just had a revision that I sincerely hope will be the answer/solution I needed to help keep the weight off - sleeve to RNY.  While I wanted the DS, again the powers that be said that the DS wasn't a good idea once they got inside & got a better look at the anatomy.  Either way, research, ask questions, find a surgeon you can really trust, and don't put yourself down because of the re-gain.  I have a feeling that food will just be a battle we all have to fight on a daily basis for the rest of our lives. 

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

-- African Proverb

Most Active