Sleeve Revision to Roux En Y for Reflux, who is out there??

angiegettingfit
on 3/17/16 4:42 am
VSG on 02/03/14

Who out there has had a sleeve revision to roux en y (bypass/rny) to fix acid reflux? Can you tell me your story....I'm in the process of it now and a little freaked out and just need some reassurance. I have an EDG next Thursday and am realizing I never had one with my sleeve.

thanks!

paige0426
on 3/18/16 9:38 pm

I've actually got my surgery scheduled April 9th for just this reason.  I can't handle the constant heartburn anymore and taking PPI's long term has now been proven to cause dementia with prolonged use.  I think almost 4 years is considered long!

angiegettingfit
on 3/21/16 4:37 am
VSG on 02/03/14

are you having roux en y?

which state?

Good luck to you!

lolalucy
on 3/21/16 10:19 am

I am having the revision as well.  I am self  pay so am having it in Mexico with Dr Carlos Altamirano.  I have also gained some of my weight back so am looking forward to the revision.  

MuttLover
on 3/25/16 3:52 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Hey there!  In the process as well. I posted in the RNY board looking for people like us, but didn't really find much!  But I've had the testing and I have a good-sized paraesophegeal hernia, I've had reflux forever (in my 20s) and have been taking 2x the usual max dosage of Nexium since it went on the market, and prilosec before that!  So, I COMPLETELY understand your freak out!

If we'd wanted a freakin' RNY, we'd have had one to begin with, right?  Although I had it, knowing that if my reflux got worse, it meant revision time.  Then it got worse and I developed this stupid hernia.  So, I have been reading literally everything I can find, and basically, it looks like revision to RNY is the most recommended treatment for overweight patients with GERD. 

So, I see the doc for follow up on Tuesday, and she messaged me today to let me know that they were moving ahead with submitting my info for insurance approval, and that we'd schedule as soon as we could after approval.

Best of luck!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

angiegettingfit
on 3/25/16 4:00 pm
VSG on 02/03/14

Good Luck to you!! When will your revision surgery be?

I just had an EGD yesterday and the initial findings are that my sleeve is "near normal capacity" meaning it was never done right in the first place, which explains ALOT!! I also have an "imcompetent plyrous" which is contributing to my reflux, so he's recommending the DS which I feel very comfortable with. My surgery will be on April 18

MuttLover
on 3/25/16 4:05 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I'd prefer the DS -- but no one here does that, and my original sleeve was "fine" -- so since I have the hernia and reflux, they recommend the RNY -- and my GI doc actually recommended RNY before I had the sleeve, but felt my reflux was controlled enough that it was OK to risk the sleeve.  Since the stats show about 90% "cure" rate for reflux with the RNY, I'm just sucking it up and getting it done.

They are sending in for insurance approval on Monday, so I don't know.  She said it would be "quick" -- but contextually, I don't know what that means -- probably within the month, is my guess.  Yikes!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

angiegettingfit
on 3/25/16 4:09 pm
VSG on 02/03/14

I have also heard that Rny will help with reflux, so that could be a good fit for you! Is your biggest complaint with the sleeve reflux?

I started at 297 and have only lost 53 pounds, among other things and now realizing that my sleeve is "big" I realize that I've probably lost those pounds primarly through lifestyle changes I've made like exercise and nutrition. It ticks me off at the end of the day, but I guess in hindsight had I not had the sleeve I guess I would still be 315 pounds, so I guess that's good :/

MuttLover
on 3/26/16 4:39 am
VSG on 11/14/12

LOL!  Even with a smaller sleeve, without the lifestyle changes you won't be successful over the long haul.  Several of my fellow-sleevers are now facing some regain because even though they lost significant amounts of weight, it comes right back in a heartbeat if you are not vigilant. 

As for RNY and reflux, the research is pretty clear that it's the best option for taking care of reflux. But again, I know many people who have struggled with regain after RNY as well. So keep up with your lifestyle changes -- those will be the key to your long-term success!

Kiwigal
on 5/5/16 3:48 am
Revision on 05/02/16
Hey Angie, I had my vision on the 2nd primarily for this reason. Am hoping my reflux will stop and also loose some weight.
Hope all went well for you?

Most Active