Sleeve to DS and reflux

angiegettingfit
on 3/15/16 4:35 am
VSG on 02/03/14

Hi,

I'm needing to revise my sleeve primarily for acid reflux, however I never got to where I wanted weight wise. (SW 297) my surgeon predicted i'd only lose to 222 and I maintained that for well over a year, but I really wanted to get under 200.....never happened :( I've now regained 20 lbs and on top of that developed acid reflux. Truth be told, I've never felt like my sleeve was done correctly. I've never felt very good restriction from the beginning, but I've worked with what I've got. Anyway, I've consulted with a surgeon in Dayton, Ohio whom I really like and trust. His recommendation is to revise to roux en y and he predicted that I'd get to 155-165 (I'm 5"7) He was shocked by what I can eat and said that had he done my sleeve, I'd be able to eat 1/2 a hamburger without a bun, this far out (I'm 2.5 years post op) He thinks my sleeve was done to big to begin with since I've only lost 60lbs to date. Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone know if the DS would cure my reflux? In my logical brain this makes more sense as I'm already sleeved AND I do not have a gallbladder (removed in 2005) just curious....thoughts?

hollykim
on 3/15/16 9:20 am, edited 3/15/16 2:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM Pacific Time, angiegettingfit wrote:

Hi,

I'm needing to revise my sleeve primarily for acid reflux, however I never got to where I wanted weight wise. (SW 297) my surgeon predicted i'd only lose to 222 and I maintained that for well over a year, but I really wanted to get under 200.....never happened :( I've now regained 20 lbs and on top of that developed acid reflux. Truth be told, I've never felt like my sleeve was done correctly. I've never felt very good restriction from the beginning, but I've worked with what I've got. Anyway, I've consulted with a surgeon in Dayton, Ohio whom I really like and trust. His recommendation is to revise to roux en y and he predicted that I'd get to 155-165 (I'm 5"7) He was shocked by what I can eat and said that had he done my sleeve, I'd be able to eat 1/2 a hamburger without a bun, this far out (I'm 2.5 years post op) He thinks my sleeve was done to big to begin with since I've only lost 60lbs to date. Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone know if the DS would cure my reflux? In my logical brain this makes more sense as I'm already sleeved AND I do not have a gallbladder (removed in 2005) just curious....thoughts?

no, the DS will not cure  your reflux, because with a DS, the same sleeve is created from the stomach. 

The RNY is the only WLS that will cure the teflux.

angiegettingfit
on 3/17/16 4:40 am
VSG on 02/03/14

will rny actually cure it? will I stop feeling like crap like I do now? will I need to continue to take an acid blocker? (which I'm fine with btw) I just want to stop feeling hungry ALL THE FREAKING TIME and feel pain from this acid, will rny do that?

hollykim
on 3/17/16 7:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM Pacific Time, angiegettingfit wrote:

will rny actually cure it? will I stop feeling like crap like I do now? will I need to continue to take an acid blocker? (which I'm fine with btw) I just want to stop feeling hungry ALL THE FREAKING TIME and feel pain from this acid, will rny do that?

it is supposed to be a cure. As in everything, YMMV, but most post that it was completely gone.

angiegettingfit
on 3/17/16 7:55 am
VSG on 02/03/14

sorry what does YMMV mean? I'm a newbie...lol

hollykim
on 3/17/16 2:37 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 17, 2016 at 2:55 PM Pacific Time, angiegettingfit wrote:

sorry what does YMMV mean? I'm a newbie...lol

your mileage  may vary,meaning evwryone is different and no one knows really if it will completely cure your reflux

ShebasMom
on 3/17/16 7:25 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I had severe GERD and was told to get the rny instead of the sleeve back in 2011. The RNY did not cure my reflux, it only lessened the severity as I lost weight. I never made it to my goal weight and have regained 1/2 my weight and the reflux worsened. Alot of my excess weight is in my abdomen.  My GI MD feels if I can lose most of my excess weight, it will be more tolerable.  I am in the process of a revision.  Last year my insurance didn't approve a rny distal revision twice. I've restarted the process again, since my BMI is over 40.

angiegettingfit
on 3/18/16 7:33 pm
VSG on 02/03/14

are you being told weight loss in the abdomen is what will lessen your gerd symptoms? I'm curious because I'd prefer to have the DS and while this would "cure" reflux like rny is suppose to it would cause weight loss, hence hopefully curing the reflux or lessening the symptoms???

MuttLover
on 3/26/16 6:43 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Hey Angie -- I replied in your other post as well.  But as hollykim noted (as did my GI and all the research I can find on GERD and Sleeve) -- RNY "cures" GERD for 90% of patients.  DS does not. GERD is related to amount of acid produced in your stomach -- with the DS and Sleeve, you have a fully functioning stomach -- ie, acid factory and with a smaller stomach, the acid production may result in worsening GERD.  GERD is also tied to obesity -- so losing weight should also help GERD.

After much research, etc., I am going with the RNY revision because statistically, that gives me the best odds of getting rid of my GERD and losing the regain I've had after the sleeve.  But the important this is having a heart-to-heart with your surgeon and making sure you understand the risks vs. potential outcomes of DS vs RNY for your obesity and your GERD -- plus your other medical conditions.  I also have some lower back issues which are affected by weight and now have a paraesphogeal hernia.  But I have migraines and arthritis (typically treated with some NSAIDS - which is why I went for the sleeve first).

So, it's not always an obvious choice!  Good luck in your journey!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

angiegettingfit
on 3/26/16 7:12 am
VSG on 02/03/14

yes I know that rny can "cure" gerd in some revision patients, but I have also met people on FB that it didn't. I just found out through an EGD the cause of my GERD and as a result the DS would actually affect it for the positive, plus I need to remain on some migraine meds that I couldn't remain on if I were to revise to rny (I've been a chronic migraine sufferer for years). I need to continue to have a fully intact stomach to absorb some key meds to keep me functioning, so I'm going with the DS, but I wish you well on your journey

Most Active