Revision of DS

pam_b
on 3/9/16 8:06 am

Has anyone had to have their Ds revised? If yes, why? and who was your doctor?

Ladytazz
on 3/10/16 12:05 am

I had a DS in 2002 and in 2010 I had a revision to a RNY.  Still have the DS configuration with a 200 cc common channel, from 100 cc.  Best thing I ever did.

I had issues from day one with diarrhea and awful gas.  And I still ate and ate and ate and gained 100 lbs.  All the negatives and not one benefit from having WLS.

The revision resolved the diarrhea (CIBO from blind loop) and the RNY pouch gives me the restriction I never had with a very large sleeve.  My labs are great and the only problems I have now have to do with bowel obstructions from having many abdominal surgeries.

I'm not a big fan of  malabsorption.  There are really no medical benefits to intentionally causing the body to not absorb much of the nutrients our bodies need.  If I knew than what I know now I would have gotten a much smaller sleeve and longer common channel, along with an experienced DS surgeon.  But there weren't a lot of experienced DS surgeons in 2002 and I had no idea how important that was.

I am lucky in that I have no negative issues with a pouch.  I had a few episodes or RH early on but not in years.  I do dump but that helps me stay away from junk so I don't count that as a negative.  I wish I could avoid sugar without negative consequences but that never worked for me before.

Anyway, my surgeon is in Portland so that wouldn't do you any good but I am sure there are plenty around.

Are you looking to get your common channel lengthened?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

pam_b
on 3/25/16 7:45 am

Hi Ladytazz,

I had a rny in 1995. Lost 184 pounds total. My husband got very sick in 2006 and I started gaining weight (79 pounds) while being his caregiver for several years till he passed in 2011. I heard about the DS and had a DS revision done by a very experienced DS surgeon in California. Never lost weight. I have tried every diet to loose weight and have had no success. I live in Illinois so the trip to California is a no. Had endoscopy done. Have been told my stomach is hourglass shaped not like the sleeve it should be. Also told that another gastric surgery would be risky. But I am willing to take the chance. I am looking for a surgeon in the Chicago area. Have contacted Dr. Aldvery in Chicago and he doesn't want to see me because I took his seminar for a DS but choose the doctor in California to do my surgery. I guess what I am looking for is a surgeon who can address my funny shaped stomach??? 

Most Active