Gastric Bypass to ERNY, Revision of ERNY

Mamat21
on 3/3/16 12:32 pm

Been a long road but overall happy with my results. Just looking for some support and suggestions. Figured I can never have enough knowledge about these surgeries.

Had Gastric Bypass in 2003. Highest weight was 350lbs. Dropped about 130 lbs., had a baby, gained 25 lbs. Got pregnant again, had twins, lost most the weight. Slowly got back to about 250lbs. Seen the doc he suggested a revision. Went with the ERNY with a common channel of 75. That went terribly bad... I ended up in the hospital a lot, labs were in the dumps, I was as skinny as I have ever been but in complete misery. Everything I ate went directly through me. I was literally absorbing nothing. Ended up with a feeding tube, emergent surgery. After in-home nursing and the feeding tube I finally seemed to be on the right path. Body started absorbing the protein and all seemed great. Common channel is at 100 now. Revision was done in 2009, revision of revision was done 2010.

I tend to fluctuate with my weight. Currently at 200 lbs. I am content at this weight. I am 5'9" with a big frame. So for me.... this works. I do however go back and forth with this 25 lbs. Basically currently living on an atkins diet lifestyle with fruit. I just push the protein. I include protein shakes and I do give in to my cravings of sweets from time to time. Overall a happy girl..

I do struggle with gas and intestinal pain a lot. I try to change up the eating to see what makes it worse and I really can't pinpoint it. I do use devrom to help with the odor which i**** or miss. I have used Bentyl for spasms but I became intolerant of that after a while. Probiotics don't help me either..

Would love to hear others stories.. what works.. what doesn't...

I was here long ago and experienced some very unpleasant comments. If you think you know it all and just want to rant at me, just don't. Spare me.. I am still learning here myself.. even after all these years.

T

Laura in Texas
on 3/4/16 10:00 am

You should ask this on the DS forum. They may be able to help you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

hipswishingvinegarball
on 3/5/16 7:56 pm

So what surgery do you finally have - is it ERNY with 100cc? ERNY is sort of the worst of RNY and DS combined - the pouch but with major malabsorbtion. It's no surprise you have struggled with gas and gut issues. Are you thinking of another revision, or just wondering what could help with whatever configuration you currently have?

With ERNY it may be tough to be free of any gas and pain, but you could try something like an elimination diet, and just add one thing back at a time, so you'd KNOW when problems started back up. For many, fruits are always a problem (both because of sugar, and fiber, so they can be a double whammy) so I'd start with those.

Also, I have zero issues with gas or bloating, and I could actually say I eat recklessly at times. The only reason I am sure is probiotics, but I go to great effort to get a variety, and don't bother with just one brand. There are only a few stains that are actually marketed to us, so I make sure I get several different ones, and then I also eat different fermented foods to get strains that can't be bought. 

It's a hassle, but it works.

Mamat21
on 3/6/16 12:42 pm

Yes Erny with 100 common.  Not considering another revision.  It's basically a daily process of elimination. 

Just hoping to find others and see what does and doesn't work with them.. 

QBB
on 3/15/16 5:06 pm - MD

What is the ERNY?

QBB
on 3/14/16 6:21 pm, edited 3/14/16 11:31 am - MD

I am planning on a revision from my run from 2003. I gained a lot of the weight back. I'm confused as to the name of the revision I'm getting next month. How they explained it was they will leave my current old run proximal in tact and bypass 150 cm from the colon up. This bypasses most of my gut. I have to stick to strict cuts and supplements. I've been told that only 20% of what I take in will be absorbed. Is this what you had? It sounds similar. Why did you have problems and pain? Did they say?

Mamat21
on 3/15/16 1:43 pm

Well basically my body wasn't absorbing anything. I literally ate and it went directly through me. I was a HOT mess. My body was basically shutting down. Once I was revised with a longer common channel to 100 I was good to go. I starting to absorb and truly understand what my body needed.

I have a lot of tummy issues. Something that I tolerate today may not be tolerated tomorrow. I stick to mostly protein, some veggies, and some fruit. I do have my occasional sugar and sometimes tolerate that as well. Lots of vitamins and push push push protein. It gets old but it's what I have to do to feel pretty dang good about myself. Family understands what works for me and also plays the part. Always makes sure I have something I can eat at gatherings and such..

This surgery is far from easy. Everyday is work. Planning meals.. planning going out to eat.. planning how to not kill others from the smell. And although it sound funny it's serious. The smell can be so awful. I take Devrom and that sometimes helps. But if I decide to eat something that I know will tare my belly up, watch out afterwards...

Be sure to find out exactly what surgery you are having and what your body will require to maintain.

QBB
on 3/15/16 4:58 pm - MD

What is the common channel? I see in my early reply the spell check changed rny to run. 

QBB
on 3/15/16 5:04 pm - MD

What is the common channel? I see in my early reply the spell check changed rny to run. 

Mamat21
on 3/16/16 5:47 am

https://drsimpson.net/07_surgery_stories%20(SS)/7_SS_02/bypa ss%20overview/bypass%20overview.htm

I thought this website was rather helpful and explained well. Check it out.

Most Active