Sleeve to RNY revision due to stomach twisting??! would LOVE to hear from Sleeve to RNY...

RedHead86
on 2/29/16 8:47 am

I am SO glad you did respond. This is what I am asking for is just anyone who has been in my situation. Did it scare you to know that if you did have complications there was no stomach left to work with? That is probably my MAIN concern! Also the fact that the dr said we should do RNY to fix my acid reflux and that it "wouldn't help me lose any weight" that part I don't get because if I am eating less and not absorbing some nutrients then would I lose? I manage my GERD just fine with diet and medicine I am not sure I want to risk my life just to fix that...however I am NOT happy about my twisted malformed sleeve and want that fixed and would love some help to lose the extra. I work very hard right now with diet and exercise and am pretty happy with where I am even though I never made it to goal. So to go into another surgery I would want some hope at extra help with the weight. I wouldn't have another surgery just to help my reflux.

CONGRATS on your success so far! There's another woman that responded (cajunlady) and she converted to RNY and had success so far as well. Keep us updated! Thanks again for your input

KattattaK
on 2/29/16 9:21 am

I've read many posts here from people who have had sleeves revised to RnYs and have been successful at losing weight and reaching goal. While my main concern is maintenance, I also wonder if I'd even make it to goal with the sleeve, because although I lost much of my excess weight with the band, I I never got to goal and definitely didn't keep it off (mostly due to band malfunction as well as not being able to consume healthy foods****ep hearing sleevers say the sleeve is what the band was supposed to be and works as the band was supposed to work. So, that's why I wonder if I'd even make it to goal in the first place, seeing as I didn't with the band. 

RedHead86
on 2/29/16 10:28 am

I would HIGHLY consider finding out ALL you can and reading every forum. I was stuck on the sleeve and am happy with my progress. At 3 years out I never made it to goal. I think malabsorption is a huge factor to help. I was scared of having my intestines touched. Now I am in a position where I am considering a second surgery that I thought I would never have in my life. Then again the sleeve may work for you. Any surgery is just a tool it's up to us to make it work.

KattattaK
on 2/29/16 11:44 am

Love this post! 

KattattaK
on 2/29/16 9:10 am

Sweebra, thank you for sharing your story! So happy you decided to go ahead and post it. Those of us on the fence (as well as those who may be experiencing a similar situation) need to get as much info as possible! 

janinemarie
on 3/1/16 7:42 am

Hello, I didn't have ryn but I did resleeve, my first sleeve surgery was in 2010.  I also had a twisted sleeve that was a hour glass shape but after considering ryn I decided if my sleeve could be fixed and made smaller I would rather do that.  I can really feel the restriction since my surgery 2 months ago, more than I did in 2010.  I've  lost 30 pounds in two months with 45 pounds to go. I had gerd too but I've had no problems since surgery.   It took me a year to finally decide what would be the best surgery for me knowing it would probably be the last wls I would have.  Good luck on whatever you decide.    

RedHead86
on 3/1/16 10:58 am

Thank you it helps to know that others have had this happen and that it was fixed and they ended up ok. Did your insurance cover your second procedure?

janinemarie
on 3/2/16 6:31 am

I thought I was the only one to have their sleeve twisted.  Thankfully my insurance covered it after a denial because it was a medical necessity.  I also had to have a hernia fixed.   

RedHead86
on 3/2/16 8:13 am

what determined that it was a medical necessity? I hope things go well with my insurance. I filled out the information for Dr Keshishian yesterday so I am very interested to see how a consult with him will go and what he will think. thank you for sharing this info it helps me more than you know.

janinemarie
on 3/1/16 7:43 am

Hello, I didn't have ryn but I did resleeve, my first sleeve surgery was in 2010.  I also had a twisted sleeve that was a hour glass shape but after considering ryn I decided if my sleeve could be fixed and made smaller I would rather do that.  I can really feel the restriction since my surgery 2 months ago, more than I did in 2010.  I've  lost 30 pounds in two months with 45 pounds to go. I had gerd too but I've had no problems since surgery.   It took me a year to finally decide what would be the best surgery for me knowing it would probably be the last wls I would have.  Good luck on whatever you decide.    

Most Active