I'm new and I feel horrible about something...

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/16 4:31 am

Hi there. I was banded in 2009. This past year has been a struggle with the band. Currently I've been approved for revision from band to sleeve. My surgery is 2/26! My doctor requires a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. 800 calories a day (5 meal replacement shakes). I did great the first 3 or 4 days. Since last Tuesday, though...I've had more than 800 calories and I've cheated every day :( 

When I say I cheated, I mean I ate a handful of chips or a bite of pasta or a candy (like a Reese egg) once or twice in a day. So not a lot, but definitely I've had over 800 calories per day. I justified it to myself by saying I was just taking a bite or 2 or eating a little of whatever...which I know is ridiculous because the calories still count.

I have 4 days to make up for what I've done and get myself right (again). The point of the 2 week liquid diet was to shrink my liver. I'm so scared I've ruined everything. I know I'm not the first to come to a message board and confess my indiscretions, but I feel like the biggest jerk in the world right now! I have lost 10 pounds according to what I weighed right before I started this 2 weeks at the doctor's office and what I weighed at home yesterday. I feel like I should've and could've done much better. I feel like I'm going to get to the hospital and they'll know. My surgeon will take one look at me and cancel my surgery and send me home. 

I know I can eat what I'm supposed to eat (not junk food) because I've been doing that for a long time. Of course there are days where we indulge a bit because nobody is perfect. I've done alright with the band (once I got insurance again, found the right doctor - my original surgeon retired - and was able to get fills and so forth) and I'm down 42 pounds right now from where I started in 2009. Though admittedly it has been a roller coaster. 

I guess I'm just feeling really guilty about not doing better with my pre-op. Thanks for listening.

Marble
on 2/22/16 8:08 am

The basic problem is with our heads. That is my struggle.

hollykim
on 2/22/16 8:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 22, 2016 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, jodysh wrote:

Hi there. I was banded in 2009. This past year has been a struggle with the band. Currently I've been approved for revision from band to sleeve. My surgery is 2/26! My doctor requires a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. 800 calories a day (5 meal replacement shakes). I did great the first 3 or 4 days. Since last Tuesday, though...I've had more than 800 calories and I've cheated every day :( 

When I say I cheated, I mean I ate a handful of chips or a bite of pasta or a candy (like a Reese egg) once or twice in a day. So not a lot, but definitely I've had over 800 calories per day. I justified it to myself by saying I was just taking a bite or 2 or eating a little of whatever...which I know is ridiculous because the calories still count.

I have 4 days to make up for what I've done and get myself right (again). The point of the 2 week liquid diet was to shrink my liver. I'm so scared I've ruined everything. I know I'm not the first to come to a message board and confess my indiscretions, but I feel like the biggest jerk in the world right now! I have lost 10 pounds according to what I weighed right before I started this 2 weeks at the doctor's office and what I weighed at home yesterday. I feel like I should've and could've done much better. I feel like I'm going to get to the hospital and they'll know. My surgeon will take one look at me and cancel my surgery and send me home. 

I know I can eat what I'm supposed to eat (not junk food) because I've been doing that for a long time. Of course there are days where we indulge a bit because nobody is perfect. I've done alright with the band (once I got insurance again, found the right doctor - my original surgeon retired - and was able to get fills and so forth) and I'm down 42 pounds right now from where I started in 2009. Though admittedly it has been a roller coaster. 

I guess I'm just feeling really guilty about not doing better with my pre-op. Thanks for listening.

your surgeon will know when he gets insid you and takes one look at your liver. He may cancel your surgery right then and wake you up without your revision. Not much you can do on 4 days and , that is why you needed two weeks. Good luck. 

acbbrown
on 2/22/16 12:00 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Ok - probably not the biggest deal physically speaking, but maybe you should consider postponing your surgery till you work out the deeper underlying issues driving your compulsion to eat. I'm only speaking from experience, but with those behaviors, you will have a hard time losing weight and keeping it off. It took me a 70+ lb regain after surgery to finally "get it" and find a solution. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Kris G.
on 2/22/16 7:18 pm

I just had a revision from band to RNY my dr does not do a pre op diet I only had one day of liquids. I cut myself off of sugar and a lot of carbs to make the transition easier on myself but I certainly didn't limit my calories every day, now I am not saying that it's ok for you, but I just wanted you to know that not every Dr requires it so you may not be doomed. I would assume that they expect people will have some slip ups. Back when I had my band the lady in pre op next to me had a huge meal at Outback the night before surgery now she was doomed!!!! Good luck to you I hope everything works out!

Kathyjs
on 2/23/16 4:05 pm

Not sure if you want someone to give you hell or say,  'oh that's ok' see if your insurance will cover behavioral therapy. Really helped me. I am almost 14 years post op and at goal. Your surgery won't be cancelled. Stick to your liquids and you will be fine. 

sheriberi29
on 2/23/16 6:52 pm - Cleveland, TN

We all have food issues or wouldn't need fat surgery. That is why we need tools . Some surgeons don't require pre op diets at all and as a certified surgical technologist I will tell you it would be rare as in never seen ... To put someone to sleep , make incision then cancel their surgery, unless extreme physiological problems are going on ..... Such as blood pressure  instability...... Not Bc your liver is to large . Honestly, there are liver retractors for that.... I'm not trying to coddle you or make you feel better about not sticking to the rules Bc that's the only way we ( any of us ) will be long term success stories , I do feel that you realize your cheating ways and now you need to stop cheating and do what you are Supposed to be doing . 

I also feel like all of us need to get to the root of our head problems to defeat them and be successful ! 

DonnaMaria
on 2/24/16 3:52 am

My doctor didn't require a pre-op diet. I think you will be fine.

Most Active