Advise for having surgery while having little ones

sheriberi29
on 2/10/16 11:46 am - Cleveland, TN

I was sure that I wanted the sleeve. I was educated and excited about the sleeve.....However my surgeon said that the portion of stomach that my staple line would be in, is the exact area of stomach that has damage from my band. He also believe I would not be as successful with another restrictive procedure after already having one and thinks I need to have a malabsorption surgery . 

L. 68
on 2/10/16 12:03 pm

ohhhhh i can understand the first part of the answer because he gave you a reason not being able to do the sleeve because it is damaged from the band but isn't that what you remove the band for 6 weeks  so that your stomache can heal..first if need be.?  please dont do the gastric if you are not comfortable with the malabsorbtion part of it.  Are you ok with it??  Are you a lightweight or no?  has he done revisions from band to sleeve?  or is he just comfortable doing rny's.  But Most Of All YOU and only YOU have to want to do the RNY.

Good Luck..

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

sheriberi29
on 2/10/16 12:12 pm - Cleveland, TN

No honestly I'm not comfortable doing the bypass . My bmi is 35 as I have gained 45 of the 100 lbs lost . I'm all for doing the sleeve but wanted to do the revision and removal in one surgery. He does revisions but does seem to prefer the rny because everyone in his lobby is always telling me that's what they've chosen. however I have a few people around me that I know well and he did their sleeve, which they are All extremely happy with . He never mentioned breaking surgery up into 2 parts 

L. 68
on 2/10/16 1:49 pm

Tell him how you feel and u are willing to do it in 2 surgeries if you have to (are you)? the people that you know that did the sleeve by him did they have revisions or was sleeve their first wls.

i have heard people (read) who had to remove band and it took hours before doing the sleeve (1 surgery) because when the doctor went in they found other problems like hernia, and band being stuck to stomach and doctor did all of it and still performed the sleeve once they cleaned up all the mess inside.

we will keep in touch did you call your insurance yet?

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

Harlee J.
on 2/13/16 5:21 pm - Charlotte, NC

With either surgery you will need LIFTING HELP for a minimum of 6-8 weeks or you will be having MORE surgery down the road for either ventral, umbilical hernias or BOTH. I know, as I have BOTH. They are painful at times and I never know what movement will get them 'pinched off' and for how long I will have that pain. This past week it was lifting a 30lb toddler to her high chair. The pain was a 7 out of 10 and lasted 5 days, til I finally got it back out of being pinched. The rest of the week she ate in a pint sized high chair that has no legs and sits on the floor. I may not lift her again any time soon. 

If you have the RNY procedure, know that you absolutely CAN eat your way through that surgical pouch, too. It happens all the time. It's the #1 reason for RNY revision surgery. I'm gonna stop there. It needs to be YOUR CHOICE made with YOUR SURGEON. But IF I was having a new surgery and had toddlers, I would not be lifting them at all post-op.

sheriberi29
on 2/13/16 5:38 pm - Cleveland, TN

I'm sorry for your painful hernias ... Thanks for the input . Do you have a rny ? As soon as I get an answer for my insurance I'll sit down with my surgeon and discuss my options and opinions . I'm always seeking more insight so any experiences shared are much appreciated 

Kathyjs
on 2/23/16 4:17 pm

Depends if you have open surgery or not also. I had open and since then, had two hernia surgeries . From lifting 

Most Active