Two Months Post Op and not more weight loss

Tammy P
on 2/8/16 7:12 am - Brooklyn, NY

Good morning everyone,

It's been two months since I've had my revision surgery and I have NOT lost anymore weight.  I keep going back and forth from 203 to 201; I started out at 226.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Am I just being impatient?  This is really starting to depress me.  I am not stuffing myself, I pay close attention to when I get "full" and I am also working out.  Is this slow process normal. 

Looking for help and reassurance from anyone.  Thanks.

hollykim
on 2/8/16 7:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM Pacific Time, Tammy P wrote:

Good morning everyone,

It's been two months since I've had my revision surgery and I have NOT lost anymore weight.  I keep going back and forth from 203 to 201; I started out at 226.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Am I just being impatient?  This is really starting to depress me.  I am not stuffing myself, I pay close attention to when I get "full" and I am also working out.  Is this slow process normal. 

Looking for help and reassurance from anyone.  Thanks.

what was your revision?

Tammy P
on 2/8/16 8:16 am - Brooklyn, NY

Gastric Bypass RNY Revision.  Enlarged Stoma after approx. 13 years.

littlerocknettie
on 2/8/16 8:53 am
Revision on 12/23/15

I too am having the slow weight loss.  Had a conversion from Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (done in 1999) to RNY on 12/23/15.  Dr. said it would be slow because it was a conversion.  I am down 31 pounds today...when I had my original surgery in 1999 I was losing like 10 pounds a week.  I, too am following all the guidelines/instructions and walking every day.

Tammy P
on 2/8/16 8:57 am - Brooklyn, NY

Littlerocknettie,

I guess we have to be patient.  I'm just worried because as you pointed out when we first had it done, the weight was dropping off fast!!!  It's a little depressing but I'm going to keep pushing forward.  I'm going to watch my calories as much as I can and try to burn that off in the gym.  I just don't know what else to do at this point.  Hopefully in a few months both you and I will be posting saying how silly we were because we have dropped the weight .  LOL

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/9/16 6:29 am

Unfortunately you can't outrun bad diet... It is not the extra exercise  - but the diet we follow that may determine if we lose weight. There are a lot of recent studies that talk about it. 

What and how much you eat is very important. 

For me to lose weight - not only do I need to follow low carb diet - but I also need to limit calories. My body got very smart trying to utilize every bit of food I eat. 

Also - very strenuous exercise can affect my Blood sugar - and makes m very hungry... I learned that slow and easy - like yoga. walking, weight lifting...are best for me to lose weight while I limit the calories. 

Avoiding grains, starches, even fruits and some dairies - but increasing fats - makes my body happy. Sort off like real food - Atkins style induction diet (avoiding shakes, processed foods and protein bars) 

Basically it is proteins (meat fish eggs) and non starchy veggies... I allow some treats - like nuts, dark chocolate (75- to 90% dark) but try not to do that often when I am determined to lose weight. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tammy P
on 2/9/16 6:49 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hi H.a.l.a. B.

Yes, regardless of what it's an going learning process.  However, I'm confident that we ALL will succeed! 

Laura R.
on 2/10/16 9:00 am - MO

I too am having suspiciously slow weight loss and it's frustrating because I thought the whole point of going through the five hour revision surgery was to make it easier for my body to lose weight.

I had the vertical sleeve in 2010 and lost weight fast.  I lost 95 pounds to get down to a very nice 165.  I maintained this weight until a little over a year ago when the weight started coming back on super fast despite "going back to basics" on diet and exercise.  This made my decision on the revision surgery which I had a little over two months ago to an RNY.

I was at 225 when I started the liquid diet as surgery prep.  Lost 5 pounds from that.  But barely have lost 10 pounds past that and I'm stuck. (I'm about 210/211)

My understanding is the RNY makes the stomach smaller (even smaller than with the vertical sleeve) so I intake less, which is true.  And then the bypass part is supposed to make the food not absorb as well any calories or nutrients.  So I should have all this extra help in losing weight, but it doesn't seem to being doing a damn thing.

Yes, I'm following the diet well.  Could do better on the exercise, but that's an always for me.

Besides being beyond frustrating, it's embarrassing to me with the friends and family who I told about the surgery.  It's like I went through a very costly, five hour surgery and all the pain and all the limitations I now have to have lost 15 pounds?  So my fat clothes are no longer tight, but I can't go down even a size?

Tammy P
on 2/12/16 6:12 am - Brooklyn, NY

(((((((HUGS))))))))

Laura R, don't be so hard on yourself.  I know it is VERY frustrating but I think it's mostly because we are not giving ourselves time to let the weight come off.  While we may have lost it quickly the first time around, do we really know how quick that was?  We didn't have anything to compare it to the first time around so it seemed to have been quick but was it really?  We have to give it time to work, it will fall off.  NO, you DID NOT DO THIS FOR NOTHING, it's working but it's going slow and we have to slow our brains down or we all are going to go bonkers - LOL. 

Just keep pushing and doing what you're doing.  HECK, your fat clothes aren't tight anymore, you don't think that's a good thing?  I know I DO!!! Shoot, even though I haven't gone down a size, I know when I'm walking down the street, I can actually fill that my pants aren't as tight as they were before. 

I've decided to keep doing what I'm doing and put my brain on a time out.  I'm going to be happy and focus on the little achievements like the fact that I can fit my smaller tops. 

Laura R, I'm here for you!!! We can encourage each other.  As far as exercise, don't forget to count walking as exercise.  Track your steps and feel good about EVERY movement!! 

Cheddar555
on 2/9/16 10:18 am - Cedar Hill, TX

Hey,

I feel your pain I too had a revision from sleeve to bypass and I am loosing very slow. I am so embarrassed to go back to the doctors office to my five month check up and only down 46 pounds. I was stuck at 200-203 for about two and 1/2 months and then finally after walking everyday the scale moved. So it will happen for us just expect stalls and hard work and diet control to make the weight move.

Most Active