RNY to DS Revision Surgery Approved and Scheduled!!!

katbridge
on 1/30/16 6:26 am

Hello,

My name is Katherine.  I had a RNY in 2002.  I kept the weight off for over 10 years and then I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after gaining a tremendous amount of weight...I have been struggling but continued to gain weight even after my thyroid was under "control".  Then long story short other problems arose, sleap apnea etc.  I am scheduled for DS on April 4th with Dr. Ayoola in Dallas, TX.  I have been reading the forum and getting some tips.  I'm excited, but also nervous.  Looking for support and advise for pre and post op and support from others who have undergone the same revision. 

Thanks,

Katherine

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/30/16 11:36 pm

I know quite a few who have had RNY and other surgeries revised to DS, but most are not on this site (this is not historically a DS friendly site). There are some other sites and FB groups that it's easy to track the RNY to DS peeps down. 

Good luck with your upcoming surgery - the DS was the best thing I ever did for myself!

katbridge
on 1/31/16 3:55 am

Thank you!

Just P
on 2/18/16 1:42 pm - DC

Hi,  Would you have links to RNY to DS folks.  I am looking for a DS friendly group to get support.  Thank You

Mz.P Living and Loving Life!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Jill T.
on 2/5/16 10:13 am - Atlanta, GA

Hi Katherine-

ive had similar experience - RNY in 2002 and significant weight gain (60 lbs). I'm investigating DS vs. distal bypass. I'm getting differing ideas on this. My doc says b/c I've had problems with hypoglycemia that DS is best. Can you share with me what you've found?

Thanks -

jill

katbridge
on 2/5/16 7:40 pm

Hi Jill,

My understanding is that people who go from RNY to distal won't lose as much weight as they originally lost with the RNY.  The dr doing my surgery won't even do the distal. I'm not even sure he'll do an RNY.  I think in general the RNY and it's variants (distal) are falling out of favor due to regaining of weight.  I think the big advantage of the DS is the valve (?) at the bottom of the stomach which prevents things like hypoglycemia, which I have as well b****he thing about the DS is that you are technically not supposed to eat the types of food that are current'y causing you hypoglycemia.  The "diet" for lack of a better word is a modified atkins.  I hear ppl say after some time they are able to eat these foods, but many will still have severe side effects like gas, bloating, and diarrhea.  So, its a bigger change in diet than the RNY in my opinion, at least in comparison to what I'm able to eat with the RNY... which is anything but dairy.  I do eat dairy though, but very limited because I'm lactose intolerant from the RNY.  Having said that, the conversion from RNY to DS is extremely difficult and has the greatest risk for complications. Not to mention recovery time.  Chech out dsfacts.com if you haven't already.

Hope that helps,

Katherine

Most Active