Weight gain

HARLEYHONEY
on 1/27/16 11:13 am - Varney, WV

I had gastric bypass in 2008,lost  from to 273 to 152 then my doctor told me to gain 15-20 & hold it. Well I got up to 172-175 maintained it for 3yrs,& even though my eating habits haven't changed, I've gained back up to 208. He has scoped me several times back in August 2015 found hernia in my pouch opening which he repaired & said I would lose 30lbs by fixing that. He sent me home on clear liquids for 10days & I go back for post op, only to hear I gained 3lb.? So I then began to get irritated & last month he put me on 1500 calorie diet & 70-75g protein per day. I've documented it all & guess what? Not a pound lost. What do I do? He says my bmi isn't high enough to get lapband approved.

L. 68
on 1/27/16 5:24 pm

Hi HarleyHoney,

Im sorry to hear about what you are going through, but first i want to know why did he tell you to gain 15-20 lbs ? Were you to small ? Did you want to gain 15-20 lbs? 

My cousin had the gastric bypass 14 years ago she did really well and after about 10 years her pouch i guess started to stretched so 2 years ago she got the band put on (i have the band) she has since lost the 30 or so lbs that she was struggling with.

I am getting a revision from my band to sleeve with no problems and my bmi is 32.  If you did well with the gastric bypass and shows (paper work) that you have lost all of that weight than getting a revision to a band should be approved by your insurance because it show that you did well with that procedure and now (10 years later) it doesn't it doesn't work anymore.

Your BMI has nothing to do with the revision if you had lost with the gastric band.  Tell him you know this and search this website more and see what others say.  

If he will not do it or give you decent answer why i would be calling another doctor that does revision from gastric to band..

Good Luck

Rblain

acbbrown
on 1/27/16 6:49 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I'm not entirely sure why your doc put you on a 1500 cal diet. That's usually where most people find their maintenance point. I'm not surprised you didn't lose  pound. You'll have to cut your calories in order to lose weight. Kind of sucks but that's reality. I'd recommend tracking and weighing everything and I'm for 1000-1200 for a while and see if you drop a little weight. 

And find a new doctor. He sounds clueless and promising a 30 lb weight loss from fixing a hernia was reckless. You know how to lose weight - you've done it before, so you can do it again. Best wishes to you. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Hislady
on 1/27/16 11:05 pm - Vancouver, WA

I agree, 1500 cal is a maintenance amount, to lose you need to go back to those beginning calories amounts which should be 600-800 minimum and 1000 maximum calories. Go back to eating protein first then some non starchy veggies, get all your water in, a minimum of 64 oz. but more is better. That will get those 30 lbs off in no time. You shouldn't need a band over your bypass, I wouldn't wish a band on anyone they are horrid, you don't want to deal with the damage they do. You can do this with jus****ching what you eat, journal everything you put inyour mouth with myfitnesspal or one of the apps like it. Look on the forum list for a group called Back to Basics and join in there they can help support you in losing this last little bit.

sheriberi29
on 2/3/16 2:57 pm - Cleveland, TN

Just wondering how tall you are . I'm 5'2 up to 192 and a bmi of 35 and my insurance co says they will revise with medical complications with the band unless your bmi is 31 or below 

I have bcbs tn 

HARLEYHONEY
on 2/3/16 5:29 pm - Varney, WV

I'm 5'8 & my bmi is 32.6 but I have the state Medicaid card which my dr said will not pay if bmi isn't 35 or higher. I go see dr Tuesday & something has to get done

sheriberi29
on 2/3/16 5:50 pm - Cleveland, TN

They tried to tell me that as well but I called my insurance company and they said it's a little different for revision than initial surgery but perhaps you could wear ankle weights and boost your bmi lol

HARLEYHONEY
on 2/4/16 5:29 am - Varney, WV

I go back Tuesday & if he doesn't do something, next month I will put a couple weights in my bra under my arms & I will make him. I'm so fed up with the fact of gaining any back. Even though I'm a lot smaller than before my wl journey, what lil I've gained makes me look at myself as I did before. I feel 400lb.

hteadtbear
on 2/4/16 11:48 am
RNY on 09/01/15

All insurance requirements are not the same, 1 may do a revision no matter what your BMI is and another may require it to be 35 or 40. 

I agree with the info you have received from what I have learned, you may need to cut your calories to loose the weight.  Even without any surgery 1500 is not a good weight loss calorie count.

I had the band in 2008 and just had revision to RNY.  May want to do a little research into the band before getting it.  I know there are a lot of people out there with it but there are a lot of people having issues with it as well.

My Dr says the band is showing to have more issues in the long term.  Have you checked into the DS?

That's my 2 cents at least.

Good luck to you!

Most Active