Dr. says band to sleeve surgery is pointless and were most likely be unsuccessful??!!!

cmcelfish
on 1/29/16 5:51 am

I googled this question about band to sleeve revision I read articles from Mass. General Hospital from Science Daily that state good results going from lap band to either vertcle sleeve or gastric bypass  surgery. Science Daily stated a rate of weigh loss of almost 70% loss of excess weigh. The one article stated that over

90% of lap bands have revision surgery because of failing bands. My Dr told me most band patients are having surgery within five years of being banded.

Do the research yourself don't take one Dr word as being gospel don't worry about hurting their feelings its your body you have to live with the results not the dr.

cherries1016
on 1/29/16 3:42 pm
Revision on 02/15/16

Have you ever went onto obesitycontrolcenter. com? Two tabs "stories" and "videos" have a lot of information and real patient stories.  I also searched Youtube and Facebook.  There is a sleeve group on Facebook and I reached out to about 7 people who had revisions all over the country to see how they did! 5 of them messaged me back and 1 of them even had her husband call me!

I wish I could promise you long term success but I can't - I am having mine done soon.  I can however say the people I have spoke to have all had very good success - but all are under 1 year post op.

I have soooo many issues with the band I will jump up and down for the next 12 months as soon as it is removed.

PS. I was able to meet a patient that had the revision and has lost 170 pounds and has maintained that for a year post goal weight. They said it is very easy to slip back into old habits so if you do not think once you reach your goal weight you will be able to keep it off - maybe you need something more drastic like the Bypass.

Kathy2852
on 1/30/16 12:22 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

I just saw a surgeon for a consult. He said he wouldn't do the bypass with someone who has a band. He said the tissue is thickened from the band. We will see. 

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 1/30/16 2:46 pm - Brick, NJ

What happened with the band?

Most Active