Dr. says band to sleeve surgery is pointless and were most likely be unsuccessful??!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/16 7:22 pm

I met with my doctor the other day and he said band to sleeve operations are rarely successful. He said the weight regain occurs a lot faster or very little weight is lost anything at all.

needless to say I am very disappointed to hear this and I am reaching out for success stories. Beyond three years that it was if there are any? I just can't believe this is true and I feel like I remember reading success stories. Perhaps, this has to do with his technique and this is why this is happening. He seems to think that you just never get the sensation of being satisfied... I think most disturbing is that he said some patients never really leave anything at all...

By all means I don't want to offend anyone I'm just repeating what I heard and effort to get some clarity and perhaps some inspiration. FYI he also said that a gastric bypass is the best way to go for sustainable weight loss.

Kris G.
on 1/24/16 8:07 pm

I am 2 weeks out from band to RNY I wanted the sleeve and my Dr said the same thing. So far from what I have read and from other posts this seems to be what most are saying. I hope everything works out, best of luck to you!

sheriberi29
on 1/25/16 5:39 am - Cleveland, TN

I am in the process of trying for a revision from band ..... I wanted a sleeve but last week my dr told me the very same thing they told you . I have scoured all of the support groups out there to find so many happy sleeve from band revisions . I'm in the process of just researching everything I can't find to clear up my choice . 

mgamble
on 1/25/16 11:41 am - Knoxville, TN

I just had a band to sleeve revision. My doctor was supportive and believed that it was the right option for me. I can't speak to long term success, but I am pleased thus far.

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/25/16 3:39 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I just got off the phone with my doctor talking about band to sleeve revision.  For me he said that in the good shape and younger age that I am that he thought the sleeve was a solid idea.  So here's some about me and maybe this will help.  I'm 39 280lbs 40BMI, I do have high blood pressure but nothing else of note related to my weight.  I'm in good physical condition as in I have no mobility issues, not skin break down, nothing that keeps me from working or having a full day.  

My band is irritating and obviously didn't fully work for me, but there are no clear issues such as erosion or throwing up often.  I did have my barium test and the endoscope which came back with very little concern.

My doctor did state he thought that the sleeve would be the better option for me.  He said if I was older, in degraded health, was diabetic, or had several medical issues then he would see the possible additional complications of RYN to be worth the chance because it would be a better choice over having the health issues.  The sleeve in his opinion will act like the band did in that it provides restriction but in a more natural way such as being able to take medium or large pills, less issues of sticking, there will be some need for taking vitamins but the specific need for them would be evaluated about 6 weeks out.  He said that because I was a woman that still has periods that I would probably need a multivitamin and a B12 and Iron, after my periods stop then whose last two may not be needed.  

He did say that for his office that most of his patients were going from band to sleeve so it's obvious that's his offices preference so that may influence the way he leaned.  I'm overall happy with the discussion because i'd also come to the conclusion that if I didn't need to do the bypass that I'd rather go with the sleeve because I do think I can be successful now that I've learned from the food sins of my past. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/25/16 4:49 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Now I haven't had a revision but I have the sleeve & am very happy with my choice. Now there might be plenty of reasons why your Dr might think a band to sleeve won't work. I suggest you ask him specifically what those reasons are, & how it applies to you.

I'm plenty satisfied, weight regain is usually due to non compliance, not surgery.

Now if there is a lot of damage to your esophagus maybe that's why the vsg is not as effective & if a lot of banders have a lot of damage then maybe that's why they're steered towards the rny.

If however you don't have that kind of damage & have lost weight with the band but it became non functional or you just don't like having a foreign object in there, you might do ok with the vsg.

Do your research & get more information b4 making a final decision. Good luck to you. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Baby1234
on 1/26/16 1:39 am

After the damage the band caused to my esophagus and stoma*****luding GERD I went with RNY.Very satisfied.

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/27/16 8:19 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I'm a revision patient - Band to RNY and am 2.5 years out from my RNY.  My guess is that your surgeon is lumping both the Band and the Sleeve into the same category of WL surgeries. Meaning restriction only surgery without any malabsorbtion component.  Obviously I am not a Doctor and I wasn't in the room when he told you his opinion, but I imagine this is what he's talking about.  

If your LapBand was working properly and you haven't had any complications (hiatial hernia, GERD, etc that means the Band is empty) then most of the problems with WL and the Band is non compliance with the diet.  Now I know how hard it can be to eat with a Band - I lived with mine for 7 years - but I also know how easy it is to find ways around that.  If you fall into this category then the Sleeve may not give you the result you are looking for.  You may need the malabsorbtion component of either RNY or the DS to get the weight off.  To keep it off you have to be compliant with the proper diet and calorie restriction regardless of the surgery you choose.  For me personally, I wanted the best chance I could get to lose the weight.  RNY gave me that, but I have to work hard every day to stay at Goal.  It's worth it.

I am thrilled with my choice.  I've seen lots of Band to Sleeve people come and go here on OH but can't think of any that are posting regularly these days.  Hopefully they will chime in on your thread.   Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

cmcelfish
on 1/28/16 4:21 pm

Think of it this way, you are told your having surgery you go on a two week liquid diet. OK you should loose weigh with this. After surgery my post op diet says 3-7 week liquid diet until you are ready for peraiede foods all this time you should loose weigh If you are getting some exercise. You are suppose to only be able to eat around two kz of food at a time for a long period of time.  How can you not loose weigh my Dr.  Says his revision patients do well. I think I would be looking for another Dr one who believes in WLS and revisions

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/28/16 9:26 pm

According to studies, there is little difference in outcome between the sleeve and RNY at 5 years post op. RNY has the drawbacks of the much higher incidence of dumping syndrome and reactive hypoglycemia as well. 

So, the only real reason I see for a surgeon pushing RNY over VSG is that they can't do or aren't as competent with the VSG, or they get paid more to do RNY. 

Get what suits your lifestyle and will be easiest for YOU to live with, not what's easiest for your surgeon for an hour or two. 

Most Active