Lap Band Revision at time of removal vs removal and revised later???

KattattaK
on 2/7/16 4:19 am, edited 2/7/16 8:11 am

Hi, Faytona! I've actually had 3 surgeons tell me that they see better long term results from patients who have the revision a bit after band removal. One surgeon explained that once the band is removed and sleeve revision is done at the same time, that upper part of the stomach (that was above the band) causes a bit of a "pouch " at the top of the sleeve. Because that part doesn't have much muscle, it is rather lose/lax/weak and enables the patient to eat/hold more food than it should (in that extra little upper pouch).

On the other hand, once the band is removed, that upper portion of the stoma/stomach can heal and get stronger if/when allowed or given time to do so. Then, supposedly, the sleeve turns out better and functions better for the long haul . Whether this is true or not, I have no idea of knowing. However, I must admit it made sense to me. The surgeon I just saw last week simply mentioned revising me from band to sleeve. I forgot to ask about this and will definitely be asking him about it next time I see him to get his professional opinion on it. 

magpye
on 2/7/16 8:29 pm

Hi Faytona,

I am so sorry you are going through a frustrating process!  I had a lap band in 2010 and ended up having it removed this past august due to an erosion.  My surgeon said I absolutely had to wait at least 6 weeks before he would do the rny.  My surgeon likes to wait to let it all heal up - even if it is only a slippage or if the band is not working for the patient.  It is a rather "violent" surgery - there is a bunch of tugging and pulling.  I was told the pain of a band removal can be worse than the pain from a rny.  I ended up with a complication - I had the erosion, a lot of scar tissue, and an infection that started at the port area and then went into my digestive track and abdominal cavity.  It took 3 months until I felt better and the infection was gone and my surgical wound healed.  My surgeon said that this was not the norm in the "routine" removals.  The rny in december went very well, minus some tricky scar tissue - my liver and stomach were attached.  Even if I didn't have the complications from the band removal, I think I would like the time for my intestines and stomach to heal before I did the rny or sleeve.  Who knows what they will find and if you are one of those who gets a lot of scar tissue.  One thing that really helps with all the decisions is reading the boards here - there are many different ways each surgeon runs his or her practice; from what they will do in each operation, how long the hospital stay is, what the pre and post diet is, etc.  The good news is that most people on here end up doing pretty darn well, even though the journey to get to the end result can be diverse.  I think the most important thing is that you trust your surgeon and he or she gives you enough time to communicate all you concerns and answers every question.  I always make a talking points list and bring it in each appointment so I make sure all my questions are answered.  Best of luck to you and I hope the journey works for you!

Magpye

RNY - 12/8/15

Faytona
on 2/17/16 10:11 pm - Gold Hill, OR

Magpye glad you are all better! Erosions are horrible! I actually went 9 years without any issues. But I certainly can tell you that when my slipped I certainly did not feel well at all! I also wake up with this vague pain in my throat and have an issue with pressure in my neck and head and headaches, since my slip. So I am ready to get mine out and get revised

So THANKS to everyone who has responded to this thread! Just another update, I have a date for March 1st, 2016, 2 nights in hospital. See Nut and Dr on 2/25/16. Diet info not different for me that I followed with my band so interested if there is something I am missing. So thanks for everyone's support and sharing their story! I have started my pre-op diet and it is lovely(being sarcastic) but it will be worth it!

Will try to keep everyone updated. Thanks gang!

jimbivens
on 3/4/16 11:33 am - Northwest, LA
Revision on 03/01/16

Hope you are doing well.  I had a band to sleeve revision on Tuesday too.  Spent one night in hospital and have had very little pain, just some mild discomfort.  

Most Active