Lap Band Revision at time of removal vs removal and revised later???

L. 68
on 1/26/16 12:49 pm

Hi Faytona,

Well Today i called Dr. Office to see about my Upper GI ect xray and he was not in office.  WONT BE THERE FOR TWO WEEKS...ARRGGGGG  So i spoke to his coordinator and asked her what is going to be the hold up .  She stated that he already started the insurance predetermination letter but stopped at the results (because he was waiting for my result of Upper GI which i did on Monday 25th.) to include in the letter.  Sooooo i was so disappointed and anxious that she gave me a tentative date of MARCH 1, 2016 Yeahhhhhh(that will pacify me for a little while.  The NP was in office and knows me well (she does all the fills for the band) and she said she can read the results which are in the office now and they look great no problems with the band no problems with the esophogus mobility as far as she can see he will do both at the same time.  SOOOOOOO more good news  she said she will ask the other doctors in the practice (i know them as well) to give her the go to submit to insurance before my doctor comes back..   I'm cool with that!  So we are still on a rollercoaster ride my nerves are shot i need a drink  lololol..

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for letting me vent..

rblain

Faytona
on 1/26/16 8:11 pm - Gold Hill, OR

Rblain, Glad to hear your test results were positive! Least, you got a date!!! Sounds like your office is working for ya! My original surgeon is awesome like that! I wish something would change that they would get their preferred designation back then I would not have to be doctor shopping!

Keep your spirits up and vent on!

Have a drink or 2 for me.

Faytona
on 1/25/16 9:56 pm - Gold Hill, OR

OK, so here is an update!

I called 10 Med Schools that all have bariatric programs as a specialty! From the Cleveland Clinic , Duke, Mayo, Brigham, OHSU, Stanford, Enloe, Davis, Irvine, and Mass. All but 2 try to revise in one procedure.

I actually spoke to 2 coordinators who had been to the International conference who told me that most surgeons across the world are trying to do the revisions in one procedure, but there are still some who prefer a 2 step process.

Also, a coordinator told me they are almost doing all sleeves in their clinics, as the results in the long term have been as good as the RNY. That is with her docs who also do a 2 step process.

So I am seeking a second opinion and really appreciate all of those whose responded and hope the above information is helpful to future revisers.

Plus, I would just like to advise: your surgeon has his been trained and has experience to support what he/she does. It is OK to ask for the data to support their claims and it is OK to seek another opinion.

I am still interested in others experience. So please keep sharing! 

Baby1234
on 1/26/16 1:36 am

I was revised to bypass...

Baby1234
on 1/26/16 1:34 am

It all depends.Some surgeons do it in 2 procedures.Some in one .It all depends on skill set and surgeon.

Karen D.
on 1/26/16 10:23 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I revised from band to sleeve in 1 operation.  Each doc has his own opinion on doing it in 1 surgery.  I trust my doc 150%, he is awesome and I came out just fine.  I had an almost 10 year old band and he said my stomach wall was weak in a couple places so he put a few stitches in and I haven't had any issues.  My doc told me sometimes the liver attaches itself to the band and that can be an issue but fortunately mine didn't.

I'm glad I didn't have to do it in 2 surgeries because I am sure I would have gained weight back.

Good luck!

Faytona
on 1/26/16 7:58 pm - Gold Hill, OR

Karen I completely trust my original surgeon? He is not preferred ? by my  So I am having to shop around. I would prefer a 1 step for the same reasons but understand if my insides don't allow. Really appreciate your insight and thoughts!

Kathy2852
on 1/30/16 4:19 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

I am just beginning the process for revision from band to sleeve.  My surgeon said he would do it all in one surgery.  Phew!

Faytona
on 1/31/16 12:03 am - Gold Hill, OR

That is SOOOOOO awesome Kathy! Congrats on that! I see another Dr. on Tuesday. I am hoping and praying that he will do it in one step!

Faytona
on 2/6/16 9:55 pm - Gold Hill, OR

Ok Gang another update. Saw new surgeon he does try to revise at same time, unless to much scar tissue, lack of blood supply, etc. (no need for new psych, etc.) I saw him on Wednesday, February 3rd. I was notified by insurance the next morning that I was approved!!!!!

Well I will let you all know when I have a date!

Most Active