Possible revision after lapband

Karen D.
on 1/17/16 5:50 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I revised from the band to the sleeve in Nov 15.  I am so glad I did!  The choice was up to me which surgery I wanted, but with you having a bad back maybe one is better over the other because I bet you might be taking some pain meds?  Good luck!  I don't think you'll regret the revision.

Kathy2852
on 1/17/16 6:00 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

Actually, I am not on pain melds at this point. The back fusion was the worst decision of my life. Going to have MRI, cat scan etc, but the doctor said the weight has to come off. I will ask about pain medication for future reference. Are you constipated with the sleeve?  I have been chronically constipated with the band. 

Baby1234
on 1/17/16 7:03 pm

Either or...you need to stress that the band is causing issues...are you experiencing Gerd or acid reflux?What is the reason for revision.Do you have any comorbidies?Any problems with the band itself?Slippage etc.What is your BMI?

Kathy2852
on 1/17/16 7:18 pm, edited 1/17/16 11:17 am - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

No acid reflux. The ban cured that. More likely it was the changes to my diet that cured it. The band has caused chronic constipation. BMI is 40. High blood.pressure. but the main problem is my back. I can't hold it up. I am having trouble getting on and out of work as well as moving around the building. Mobility issues at home, too. If my husband and sister weren't there to help I don't know what I would do. I can't even go food shopping or run into the convenience store to use the MAC machine. I am even having trouble sitting in my favorite chair..I am 63 and have to work at least 7 more years, but i am afraid I won't be able to physically do it. Definitely frightened. 

Valapp
on 1/22/16 10:51 am

Kathy, I am 70 years old and I had my lap band removed and revised to gastric bypass last July.  My band was causing terrible GERD and I threw up almost everything I ate or it got stuck.  I lost 60 pounds initially but was slowly gaining it back. I saw my surgeon and got an upper GI and told me the band had to come out.  I asked about the sleeve but he said I was a better candidate for RNY due to my severe GERD.  I took his advice and am glad I did.  The surgery was successful and I got rid of the band and the GERD.  I will say the weight doesn't just fall off like someone who has never had a WLS, but it does come off eventually. Also my age could have something to do with the slower loss.   My first goal was to get below 200 and I met that goal.  My goal weight is 165 and I am only 20 pounds away from that so I am happy with my progress. I hope you and your surgeon can make an informed decision together and it will be the start of a new life for you.  Please keep us posted. 

Good Luck!

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

Baby1234
on 1/17/16 7:52 pm

Either...you need to research and choose carefully.

Most Active