EVERYTHING REGARDING REVISION FROM BAND TO SLEEVE

rocky513
on 1/17/16 10:46 am - WI

There is a search function on OH.  Look for the little magnifying glass in the blue bar at the top of your screen. If you click on it a search bar will pop up.  Type in your question and you will get hundreds of posts on the subject.  Any question you have has already been asked and can likely be found using the search function.  

Happy Reading!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

L. 68
on 1/19/16 2:20 pm

Thanks Rocky!

Will Do.

White Dove
on 1/17/16 12:27 pm - Warren, OH

Ask the surgeon if he can let you talk to ONE of his patients who was successful with revision from band to sleeve. I bet he does not let you do that because most of them lose about 15-20 pounds after the revision and then gain it all back. I would be amazed if he has a success story older than one year out.

He will be able to show you a success with band to RNY because malabsorption will result in weight loss for them, at least for the first two years.

If you can not control your eating and maintain your goal weight with the band, nothing is going to change with the sleeve.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

L. 68
on 1/17/16 1:50 pm

Hi White Dove,

I did great with the band and as of today no leaks no slips i did lose about 80lbs with it went a few lbs under my personal weight preference (and i worked the hell out of it)  i know its a tool and it did help me but what happened was i got alot of acid reflux no not acid reflux just alot of burning in my chest so i have been on nexium and tums for the last 3 years ( ibelieve that med is only suppose to be a 2 weeks plan lol) any way basically i have been maintaining myweight for the past three years on my OWN including watching what i eat excersizing while not getting a fill because of the extreme heartburn.  but the last year my back problems that ive had for over 20 years now has gotten worse with a diagnosis of chiari malformation added on.  so i have been in pain with my back depressed more because i cant work out so i began to gain the weight back and it all adds up 30 in the last year as i struggled with my back problems.  Knowing that my back problems is not going to get any better with added weight i have decided to do a revision because the band can not be filled because of what i stated above.  depending on how my upper GI results are on the 25th of this month doc will know better if he is going to remove the band and do sleeve at same time or remove band wait 8 weeks than do the sleeve.  I can control my eating and work with the sleeve like i did with the band but because of the other problems it became a problem sooo with that said i am doing the sleeve and i am excited and cant wait again i know its a tool but it will put me back on track(still not feeling the malabsortion risk of the rny)  

Im a trooper and i never say never but for now im still not feeling the rny and dont want to lose that much.

Thanks for your response and congratulations on all your weight loss

rblain..

White Dove
on 1/17/16 2:02 pm - Warren, OH

And you are aware that the sleeve will make reflux and GERD worse and that RNY generally cures it.  You will not lose more weight with RNY than the sleeve.  Many sleevers get GERD and reflux for the first time in their life after having a sleeve.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

L. 68
on 1/17/16 3:25 pm

White Dove,  That is why i want to get other feed back from people that has had a revision from band to sleeve.  I appreciate your input and yur knowledge about this but u didnt get a sleeve.  Yes i have read that the sleeve can continue to give you more reflux or gerd  by only people who had the rny after the band not people who had the sleeve after the band..  Like i said before i  will never say never to rny because i do not know what my future holds only GOD know that but in the mean time (my time) i'd rather do the sleeve no matter what it brings forth ..  I just know so many of my friend s and a few family members that did the rny and are not happy, gained the weight back, and had a real horrible experience again i can not say this for you or for everyone that had the rny that is why i want to hear of everyone and anyone's experience.  I remember my cousin calling me from delaware and telling me her tooth fell right out of her mouth she was on her way to the dentist and it was because of lack of vitamin i was scared out of my mind.  my other friend who had the rny before me was very large and it was a matter of life and death for her (die if you do die if you don't) situation.  But she have since gained all her weight back plus more ( and is practically bald) Oh by the way my cousin got a revision ( the band) after her rny but now is on nexium.  i say all this to say that there is really no real wrong or right with wls to each his/her own but i enjoy reading others experiences and learn from them..

Thanks again....

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/17/16 3:48 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Please, please, please don't let other people's experience with their wls influence your choice. When I was starting out I was firmly in lap band territory. I didn't want anyone cutting into my stomach. I didn't want my intestines re routed. As time progressed & I did more research I opened myself up to the rny, the sleeve, & the DS.

There are horror stories with every procedure & I'm sorry you're surrounded by people who have had such a bad time with the rny that it might be freaking you out a little bit.

Definitely think on the heartburn issues you're having, the vsg can make it worse. Can you find out what might be causing it? I had a very mild case of Gerd that was likely caused by a hiatal hernia that was repaired at surgery, & I haven't had a problem since then, but its still something I keep an eye on because I have the sleeve.

Taking pills for heartburn blows big time, & it might real be a pita to take it long term, not to mention the beating your liver might take constantly fighting off the toxic affects of medication.

Don't let anyone scare you out of a surgery that may help you. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Kenneishak
on 1/20/16 5:06 am - Forestville, MD

Great point White Dove!! That is one of the reasons I selected the RNY. I will have having my revision tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted of my progress.

NHPOD9
on 1/17/16 4:22 pm

OP, earlier you mentioned that the RNY was a definite no-go for you. If you stated that to your surgeon, he may be tempted to sell you on the only other procedure he probably performs, which truly is not indicated for folks with a history of GERD.

It may seem like only an inconvenience, but ongoing GERD is a serious issue. Research esophageal cancer. The survival rates are abysmal. I originally wanted a VSG (I've never had a band), but my surgeon refused to consider it based on a history of GERD. The VSG is known to cause GERD in those who never had it before. You have a history of it already. Choosing a procedure that could continue it or make it worse is not improving the quality of your life. 

Further, yes you can take a PPI daily for the rest of your life. But they are not devoid of side effects or consequences. 

Obviously, it is your choice and life. But refusing to consider all choices, especially as a result of conjecture or fear, may not be the best decision. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

L. 68
on 1/17/16 4:43 pm

HI NH,

You read correctly i said i will never say never to rny but my choice until than is not to have it.  Are you saying that there are no success rates with people that have gerd with the band NEVER was ok with the sleeve?? Im just curious and want to know others experience.  

Thanks..

Most Active