EVERYTHING REGARDING REVISION FROM BAND TO SLEEVE

L. 68
on 1/16/16 12:36 pm

Hi Everyone,  

Today i want to read in one location HERE, about your experience with REVISION from BAND TO SLEEVE.....I want to know your experience (good or bad) the amount of weight you lost during lapband and than the sleeve  any Regrets,  would you do it all over again knowing what u know about it now...ect ect   Yes i want it all here  thanks guys

Indygirl72
on 1/16/16 1:09 pm
VSG on 11/22/12

I didn't have a revision, but be careful with sleeve if you have GERD. Mine got extremely bad after surgery. 

Kathy2852
on 1/16/16 1:28 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

Have you had the revision yet?  I am c side ring the same thing. 

L. 68
on 1/16/16 4:28 pm

Hi Kathy, 

No i didn't get revision yet..  I went January 11 to discuss with my doc (original doc that put in my band) and he said the sleeve would be good for me still not invasive like the rny (which for me is a no no) he just wants to see what condition my band is in so i am scheduled already for January 25 for upper GI xray and barium swallow as soon as he gets the results he can determine if he is going to remove the band and do the sleeve at the same time or not.  If not he will remove the band and let heal for 8 weeks than do the sleeve.  so its all a waiting game right now.

R.Blain

L. 68
on 1/16/16 4:29 pm

Kathy, 

Thats why i want to ask these questions and read other people's experiences good or bad before i get my revision.

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/17/16 12:41 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13
On January 17, 2016 at 12:28 AM Pacific Time, R. blain wrote:

Hi Kathy, 

No i didn't get revision yet..  I went January 11 to discuss with my doc (original doc that put in my band) and he said the sleeve would be good for me still not invasive like the rny (which for me is a no no) he just wants to see what condition my band is in so i am scheduled already for January 25 for upper GI xray and barium swallow as soon as he gets the results he can determine if he is going to remove the band and do the sleeve at the same time or not.  If not he will remove the band and let heal for 8 weeks than do the sleeve.  so its all a waiting game right now.

R.Blain

How is RNY more invasive than having half your stomach removed?  Or leaving a foreign object in you body for years and years?

I don't get that kind of logic.  Well , I do actually, it was that logic that I used back in 2006 when I went against my surgeon's recommendation to have RNY and chose the "reversible" procedure = LapBand.  I am grateful every single day that I was able to upgrade from my 1st WLS to RNY.  

In your shoes I would ask myself WHY the LapBand failed you.  Will exchanging one restriction only procedure for another (though I grant you the Sleeve is night and day better than the Band, but the restriction function is basically the same)  give you the results you are looking for?  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/19/16 12:54 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

i'm in the exact same spot, i went in Jan 11th and have now completed my barium and endoscope procedures.  I talk to the Doc next Monday and find out what he thinks.  I am in pretty good shape as far as little scaring and the endoscope didn't show issues.  I feel like I'll talk with him Monday and then we will play the insurance game.  I'm unsure if I'll have to totally reapply, or if this revision is not sent in the same way.  I know they will cover it, it's just how many hoops I'll need to jump through.  

Good luck and I'll keep in touch.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

TXBigKahuna
on 1/17/16 1:53 am

I had the lapband about 8 years back.  Lost some weight the first few months, then slipped back to my old bad habits.  I opted for the lapband since I was afraid of having a major surgery and had in mind that the band was the lowest risk of the options.  I had a lot of issues getting down enough water, a lot of reflux issues and some vomiting from eating to fast.

During the spring/summer I decided to have the fluid removed from the band.  That started the conversation about revision and happy to say that I had the VSG December 28, 2015.

Comparing the procedures.  

I had a lot more pain with the lapband due to how the port is sewn into place.  The VSG has been a breeze in the pain department.

Weight is dropping faster with the VSG than with the lapband for the initial experience.  I have come to realize or admit that I have to wrap my head around the mental aspect of why I was eating too much.  That will be an ongoing struggle and for me that is why I failed with the band.

If I could turn the calendar back to 8 years ago, I would skip the band and have gone straight with the sleeve.

L. 68
on 1/17/16 6:27 am

Hi TX,     thank u for sharing I feel great about ur experience very much like mine congratulations on ur new chapter of wls. Keep up the good work

birdiegirl
on 1/17/16 5:00 am

All the information you are seeking is in this forum.  Instead of looking for people to respond - do your homework and read back pages and pages.  Take all day - you will be better informed for doing this exercise

Most Active