Revision bmi requirements

sheriberi29
on 1/14/16 2:08 pm - Cleveland, TN

can anyone tell me if the BMI for revision surgery must be 35 with comorbidities or 40 without. I know it has to be this way for the original surgery but is it the same with a revision

Hislady
on 1/14/16 4:03 pm - Vancouver, WA

It depends on the insurance some require the higher BMIs and others will allow revision at a normal BMI to keep you from regaining. So call your insurance and find out what their particular requirements are. Good luck!

sheriberi29
on 1/14/16 4:38 pm - Cleveland, TN

Thank you , I called and bcbs of Tennessee said because I have a private carrier ( my husband is a union employee) they couldn't tell me and I had to speak with the insurance benefit coordinator for his union hall, so I called her, she said she had no idea what the requirements are, she said just have your dr fill out all the paperwork and send it to her then she'll send it to bcbs and they will tell her if I meet the proper requirements or not .... Crazy 

Hislady
on 1/15/16 9:12 pm - Vancouver, WA

Ahhhh good old insurance, it'll drive ya to a nicely padded room in no time. Hoping it all works out for you!

sheriberi29
on 1/18/16 7:48 pm - Cleveland, TN

Yes it will! I'm not sure why they don't just lay it out for us .... This is what you need to do or be to qualify... They just dangle the bait and let us jump through one hop at a time all the while letting us believe .... Ok I'll do this THEN it'll happen lol no such luck. I did some homework and contacted the bariatric nurse that approves or denies our claims in this area and she was able to tell me that my specific policy states " bariatric surgery is deemed necessary for a revision , replacement or reversal of previous bariatric surgery if ANY  one of the following are met...

1. Physician documented medical complication 
  2. physician documented surgical complication she did say that if they see my clinical proof that there is a complication with my band, that should be a green light to pay for a revision, HOWEVER !!!! If my bmi is in the low 30's or below , they reserve the right to approve the removal of band without revising .... My bmi is about 33.5-34.8 depending on the day.... Guess I need some ankle weight to help seal the deal hahahA
Baby1234
on 1/17/16 2:17 pm

35 BMI is cutting it close....I had 37 BMI with comorbidies.40 BMI is where they ultimately want you at.

sheriberi29
on 1/17/16 2:35 pm - Cleveland, TN

Is this for an initial surgery or did you have a revision ? 

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/19/16 1:01 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I was a 40 when I had my lapland in 2008, and worked my way right back to it after a 50lbs lost. Now the nice thing is that being back at 40 at least with my version of BCBS is they use the same guidelines as they did the first time.  So while I'm not happy back at my original weight at least that part is not an issue. Next week I start the insurance paperwork dance, while it's not a lot of fun I am still lucky to have an insurance discount rather than self-pay. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

sheriberi29
on 1/19/16 2:21 pm - Cleveland, TN

Good luck ! I hope they approve you with no problem or delays. Keep me updated !!

I just went to the dr and they are sending me for a score to look at my band from the inside . My bmi is back u to 35 with no co morbidities so it'll be a struggle to even have it removed unless they see something wrong in there he said .  

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/19/16 4:33 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

It's hard to stay fit with insurance companies like they are.  When my BMI was 35 I didn't even think about trying, but when I hit my original weight and BMI of 40 that was a huge kick in the gut, but it also freed my mind up enough to conciser a revision.  So I'm not happy about being at 40 again but in the long run maybe it'll help.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active