Having Protein Drinks Before Surgery (UNJURY)

L. 68
on 1/7/16 11:29 am

Hi Everyone,

I am going for my first consult for revision from band to sleeve (or whatever the doc and i decide on Monday) i wanted to know is it ok to start drinking the protein drinks and all the other stuff that we use during our post op.  i had the lapband 10 years ago to date and now i have to change to something else (hopefully sleeve) because the band doesnt work for me anymore and i am gaining the weight back slowly.  So i was just thinking because im afraid of hair loss or weakness after surgery is it ok to start ordering and drinking my protein shake (UNJURY).  And can anyone please post all the meds shakes foods recommended for post op.  Thanks

B. Blain

Hislady
on 1/7/16 7:06 pm - Vancouver, WA

The sleeve doesn't cause malabsorbtion so there isn't much needed in the way of extra vitamins just a good multi and then supplements if needed after your first blood work. Again as for protein shakes you won't need them for long either because they want you on solid food rather quickly after surgery. As far as hair loss and weakness go I don't think there is really anything you can do to change that it will either happen or it won't but if you are a relatively healthy person you shouldn't need to prepare before the surgery. It won't hurt anything but it won't make the surgery any easier or help with hair loss. Look up telegen effluvian it explains why there can be hair loss after surgery but there is nothing you can do to keep it from happening.

L. 68
on 1/7/16 7:57 pm

oh hi hislady,

if hair does fall out what recommendations would you suggest.....im going to look up the telegen effluvian  thanks again

Hislady
on 1/8/16 6:35 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well there is nothing that will keep it from falling out, some people use biotin which may strengthen the new hair growing in. I had over a dozen surgeries for various things in the last 10 yrs or so and I never had any hair loss that I noticed. So I never had to deal with it. There are always hairpieces and wigs if it really gets bad but again with  the sleeve where there is no malabsorbtion you shouldn't lose any hair from lack of nutrition so chances are if you lose any hair it won't be much.

luvlife70
on 1/8/16 12:19 am
Revision on 01/20/16

i have been taking zinc and biotin. this is what was suggested in my wls handbook from loyola university.

lori

L. 68
on 1/8/16 6:40 am

Did it work?  

Thanks

Most Active