LAP-BAND TO RNY REVISION

sfayad
on 12/25/15 6:02 pm, edited 12/25/15 6:03 pm - Canada

Season greeting to all. :

i am booked to have surgery January 25/2016 in Guelph Ontario by dr foute Nelong 

I have a lap band and the plan is to remove the lapband and complete the RNY.  

Initially my dr stated that he will remove the lap band and then return in 8 weeks after healing and complete the RNY 

It wasn't till he seen how upset I was he suggested that he would book 3.5 hrs of OR time and then remove the band and if everything was ok he would complete the RNY. 

I have to do 2 weeks of opti- fast and if this is done in two steps would mean that I would have to do 2 weeks of opti when the band is removed and 2 weeks of opti when the RNY is completed 

a big thing to ask for 2 separate surgeries.  

Has anyone had this revision and what was your experience 

want to know if your experience was successful for you. 

I thank you all :

simon 

Lisa09
on 12/25/15 7:09 pm - NH

Good luck, Simon.  A lot of us had this revision.  Mine was done in one surgery in November 2015.  You'll be so happy - one hospitalization, one anesthesia, one recovery.  It sounds like you'll have a very happy new year!!!

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

sfayad
on 12/25/15 9:27 pm - Canada

Thanks Lisa : 

thanks for the inspiring words. Please keep us updated into o journey. It's people like you that make this forum a success 

regards 

Simon

jalivia2
on 12/28/15 10:39 am - Spring, TX

I had this revision in one surgery as well...back in October.  I would not want to do it in 2 surgeries either!

Cyns48
on 12/28/15 2:56 pm
Revision on 12/31/15

I'm having revision from lap band to sleeve on New Year's Eve and I still don't know if it will be one surgery or two until I wake up.  I trust my doctor when he says it's a safety issue and to me that sounds pretty smart.  Nervous but hopeful.

sfayad
on 12/30/15 7:06 pm - Canada

Wish you all the luck and a speedy recovery.  

Im having a lapband removal and revision to RNY Jan 25/16 

i also was told they will try to do it in one step but possible that a t may need to be done in 2 procedures 

dr said that they have booked 3.5 hrs of OR time and if no complications from lap band will remove band and complete RNY. 

I hope you end up having both done and wish you a very speedy recovery. I know your nervous as I am just as much , but the bottom line comes down to doing it safely. 

Please let us know how you do and if all goes as planned. 

Again get well and healthy soooooooon

simon

hteadtbear
on 12/28/15 3:48 pm
RNY on 09/01/15

I had the band revision to RNY done in the same surgery.  I too am VERY grateful I had it all done at the same time.  I did this Sept 1st and feel sooo much better already. 

My Dr talked about some Dr's feeling like it needed to be done in 2 surgeries but she felt like 1 major surgery is better than 2 as long as there are no surprises when they go to do the surgery.  Best of luck to you.

Pam

sfayad
on 12/28/15 3:53 pm - Canada

Hi Pam thanks for your reply :

ive only had my band 3 yrs but so many complications 

how kind did you have your band. And I think that it only being a few years is could due to poss erosion of tissue. 

Im really worried that they do it and only do the band 

my surgeon said he will try to do both if no complications 

thanks 

hteadtbear
on 12/30/15 2:04 pm
RNY on 09/01/15

I had the band put in in 2009...  They just took it out when I had the revision to RNY so had it 6 years.

Good luck to you

sfayad
on 12/30/15 6:10 pm - Canada

Thanks for your reply : 

my dr wanted to remove the band and do the RNY in separate procedures 

only after my reluctance did he agree to do it together providing that all is ok with the band when he removes it. 

What was your experience and did you have any complications from the procedure. 

I had my band put in 2013 and had nothing but problems. 

Did your band fail ???? 

Thanks again 

Simon

Most Active