revision! from the lapband to a sleeve

brodi1234
on 12/22/15 8:45 am

I just came back from my doctor's office and Ihave had the band for a year now - only lost about 20 pounds.

Was constantly throwing up the last 6 months. My dr said he would submit for a revision but wants to do it in two separate operations.

First removing the band and then the sleeve. 

1) not sure I can handle another two operations 

2) not sure if my insurance will cover both. He wants to get approval for removal and then see if I get approved for the sleeve.

I have heard so many do both in one surgery. Is this guy trying to be difficult what should I do?

Hislady
on 12/22/15 4:15 pm - Vancouver, WA

It just depends on the doctor some do it in one and some like to have the first surgery heal first and then do the second one. I think as a rule tho they get the whole revision approved first with the insurance co. then they do it in 2 stages. If they don't get both steps approved there is always the possibility they won't approve the 2nd step of the revision leaving you with no WLS in the end. So doing it in 2 stages isn't a problem as long as they have approval for both stages.

brodi1234
on 12/22/15 6:27 pm

That is exactly my concern..

The band has done nothing for me. But I just cannot let go of not having anything.

That said, most of the revision posts that I saw were about doing the operation in one step not two.

Please anyone - any help would be appreciated..

kaniky
on 12/23/15 9:21 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I was revised from a non-working lap band to gastric bypass in one surgery on May 18th.  Maybe you could see another bariatric doctor for a second opinion.  I know my doctor told me that some surgeons simply aren't comfortable doing it in one surgery and do it in two parts.  I don't know that I would have done the revision if it was going to be two separate surgeries. 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

sfayad
on 12/26/15 3:50 am - Canada

Hi Brodie: 

love your story it's so much like mine. I had a band put in 2013 and it was a disaster all I did was vomit and at times I could not even take water. Tried all kinds of adjusting and fills to no benefit. 

So I went into the bariatric program and am nearing the end 

I have a surgery date of Jan 25 /2016 and I thought that would solve my problem as I was getting an RNY done. 

But my dr wanted to have 2 operations one to remove the band and the other to do RNY 8 weeks later after healing. 

I was so angry when my surgeon told me this so then he said he would book 3.5 hrs of OR time and if all went well with the band removal he would continue to the RNY

i was so upset but still now I have the chance of doing 2 operations two opti prep for 2 weeks 

and to be put to sleep twice. The thought of doing that just really angers me. 

So im hoping that both are done at once and not separate. I'm told it's all surgeon preference if they do both at once. All of know when I met with the surgeon and knew I was angry at the thought of 2 surgeries he said he would consider the alternative. 

It's not a for sure but it's at least a maybe. 

Please keep in touch and I will keep you updated. 

Good luck 

simon

Karen D.
on 12/26/15 5:52 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I had my band for over 9 years.  I had it removed and revised to the sleeve on 11/24.  All went well.  My doc was confident he could do it in 1 surgery.  He told me that my stomach wall was weak in 2 places where the band had been so he had put some stitches in to reinforce it.  Otherwise, I'm doing great.  

I didn't want 2 surgeries.  Just the one was enough...gas and nausea really nailed me.  

I might try to get him to do make sure you have approval for both.  Who knows maybe your insurance won't cover the revision and then you're stuck.  My doc had to prove something was wrong with mine.  By luck, the day of my upper GI I was having a spasm while drinking the barium and found the stomach above the band was dilating.  Couldn't have happened at a better time.  I had been having issues with throwing up and not being able to eat for 4-5 years.  My thought is a 1 year old band would not have done as much "damage" as my 9 year old band and he could do it in 1 surgery.  (just my opinion).

Good Luck.

lilgrneyes38
on 12/26/15 5:41 pm

It can easily be converted in one operation. I just had it done on 12/22/15. I don't know why a doctor would want to create more scar tissue than necessary. I would get a second opinion and see if you can find a doctor that will do it in one surgery.

Most Active